The Student Room Group

PwC apprentices please let me know your experience

I currently hold an offer for Digital and Technology Solutions (Data Analyst) Degree Apprenticeship (G4DA) at PwC with QMUL and am considering taking it.

My parents are saying that (from their experience in working for big vs small businesses) that if I take this opportunity I will work very long hours and not have much importance, independence on work, exposure to the workplace etc.

I have another opportunity at another business - Utilita - which is a smaller company. My parents suggest that my work would be better there and it would be a better starting point.

I am stuck and don't know which opportunity to take. Would anyone currently doing a degree apprenticeship with PwC be willing to share how it is going for them so far?
Thanks
I dont work for PwC but am starting a degree apprenticeship at another very large company - BAE Systems - this September. I contacted lots of apprentices by searching them on linkedin and asked any questions I had.

From what I've heard, after you learn the ropes and get enough degree knowledge to be able to do proper stuff (around 3rd year) you become engaged in real projects that the company is working on and actively contribute to them. Until then it'll be small projects that teach you and build up your skills.

If you're not sure what you specifically want to do, you'll do a broader range of activities at a smaller company. However I definitely recommend PwC in this case. Having a degree apprenticeship with them will massively boost your CV and future opportunities. They will also do more in depth stuff than the smaller company and you'll get to work with a lot more people and higher quality equipment/software.

Right now, getting the experience and skills are more important. I believe PwC is a better opportunity in terms of this.

Also don't worry about the long hours - you're contracted to work a certain number of hours per week.

Also search this apprenticeship on rate my apprenticeship and see what others say about their experience.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ephillips
I currently hold an offer for Digital and Technology Solutions (Data Analyst) Degree Apprenticeship (G4DA) at PwC with QMUL and am considering taking it.

My parents are saying that (from their experience in working for big vs small businesses) that if I take this opportunity I will work very long hours and not have much importance, independence on work, exposure to the workplace etc.

I have another opportunity at another business - Utilita - which is a smaller company. My parents suggest that my work would be better there and it would be a better starting point.

I am stuck and don't know which opportunity to take. Would anyone currently doing a degree apprenticeship with PwC be willing to share how it is going for them so far?
Thanks

im applying to a pwc apprenticeship too and im not sure if i should talk about pwc directly in my personal statement bc they emphasised the importance of research but idk if it would matter if this is my main choice like i dont care about my other university choices i want to get in at pwc so should i base it around them?
Reply 3
Original post by junx25
im applying to a pwc apprenticeship too and im not sure if i should talk about pwc directly in my personal statement bc they emphasised the importance of research but idk if it would matter if this is my main choice like i dont care about my other university choices i want to get in at pwc so should i base it around them?

oh gosh- i applied for it too, now that youre saying it, i probably think it would be a good idea to mention pwc in your personal statement even if its a sentence or something. im going to edit my personal statement right now >-<

personally i wouldnt base your personal statement around them, it does make it a little bit risky, but it totally depends on what you want to do! I think its best to keep your options open, if worst comes to worst, you may still have other offers!

for me its not my main choice but if i get the offer i would probably do it !!! but i definatey want to study at qmul!! Good luck though!!
Reply 4
Original post by eenie_49
oh gosh- i applied for it too, now that youre saying it, i probably think it would be a good idea to mention pwc in your personal statement even if its a sentence or something. im going to edit my personal statement right now >-<

personally i wouldnt base your personal statement around them, it does make it a little bit risky, but it totally depends on what you want to do! I think its best to keep your options open, if worst comes to worst, you may still have other offers!

for me its not my main choice but if i get the offer i would probably do it !!! but i definatey want to study at qmul!! Good luck though!!

for me im only applying to uni bc of this course otherwise id do a different degree apprenticeship so im thinking it may be worth the risk?? and u still get a uob offer if u dont get onto it. I just discovered the qmul deg apprenticeship and now i think i will apply there too but bc its also pwc. i dont get why the data analyst one is through ucas but software engineering at qmul isnt
Reply 5

good luck too!!! i hope ur application goes well!! are you hoping to submit it early?
Reply 6
Original post by junx25
for me im only applying to uni bc of this course otherwise id do a different degree apprenticeship so im thinking it may be worth the risk?? and u still get a uob offer if u dont get onto it. I just discovered the qmul deg apprenticeship and now i think i will apply there too but bc its also pwc. i dont get why the data analyst one is through ucas but software engineering at qmul isnt

ah okay i was explaining this to my friend too:

the data analyst one is for PwC ONLY u can apply though UCAS
the other one - software engeneering is for a bunch of other companies (FDM Group, Goldman Sachs, KPMG, Morgan Stanley) for these ones u need to apply directly to the company with a CV and stuff
Reply 7
Original post by junx25
good luck too!!! i hope ur application goes well!! are you hoping to submit it early?

my school is doing this wayyyy a head of time so probably yh, my schools dealine is 6th of nov!!!!
Reply 8
ah okay i was explaining this to my friend too:

the data analyst one is for PwC ONLY u can apply though UCAS
the other one - software engeneering is for a bunch of other companies (FDM Group, Goldman Sachs, KPMG, Morgan Stanley) for these ones u need to apply directly to the company with a CV and stuff

ohhh i see thanks that makes sense it seems that only pwc requires u to apply with ucas unlike other companies

i was thinking if i applied for the data analyst they could let me switch courses but theyre not really related honestly idrk what the difference is
Reply 9
my school is doing this wayyyy a head of time so probably yh, my schools dealine is 6th of nov!!!!

its a good idea i wanted to get started early but my school doesnt have that kind of pressure which i need
helps to be done before mocks and the extra stress comes
Reply 10
Original post by junx25
ohhh i see thanks that makes sense it seems that only pwc requires u to apply with ucas unlike other companies

i was thinking if i applied for the data analyst they could let me switch courses but theyre not really related honestly idrk what the difference is

i know! i was thinking the same thing! there was a virtual talk thing with PwC that i listened to, apparently theres this thing where PwC can reject the application but QMUL can accept it? so then you'll study the degree but with no apprenticeship?! if it comes to that i prolly will turn down the offer :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by junx25
its a good idea i wanted to get started early but my school doesnt have that kind of pressure which i need
helps to be done before mocks and the extra stress comes

if u want to get it done just pressure your teachers into helping u! ik the dealine is jan 31st, if you r happy with ur predictions and everything just wirte ur personal statement and tell ur head of year (or who ever is responsible) that i want to get it sent off beacuse i'm applying for a competitive apprenticeship!!
Reply 12
Original post by junx25
wait wdym will you not get offered the apprenticeship at qmul?

as in you wont be an apprentice at PwC but you will study the degree full time at qmul IF PwC doesnt like ur application or places run out etc.

like youll still study the data analyst degree, without the placement at PwC :frown:(((
Reply 13
i know! i was thinking the same thing! there was a virtual talk thing with PwC that i listened to, apparently theres this thing where PwC can reject the application but QMUL can accept it? so then you'll study the degree but with no apprenticeship?! if it comes to that i prolly will turn down the offer :frown:

its the same at birmingham they said you’ll be guaranteed a place on the normal bsc course with an industrial placement year if u meet the entry requirements which isnt what i want but at least you still have one place guaranteed ig??
Reply 14
Original post by junx25
its the same at birmingham they said you’ll be guaranteed a place on the normal bsc course with an industrial placement year if u meet the entry requirements which isnt what i want but at least you still have one place guaranteed ig??

yup! basically!
Reply 15
Original post by junx25

did you want to do software engineering??
assuming that ur based in england, if your willing to move out - like far-ish - queen's university belfast does the software engeneering BEng with PwC!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending