The Student Room Group

LSBU or Middlesex

Please give an honest opinion on this. I am choosing between the two universities for BEng mechanical engineering and would like to know which is better. LSBU states that it is ranked 1st on student satisfaction and Middlesex has better overall rank. As an international student, I am not quite sure of the student experience and teaching. Help me with this. Please give some suggestions and advice. Thanks.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Myu Wai Shin
Please give an honest opinion on this. I am choosing between the two universities for BEng mechanical engineering and would like to know which is better. LSBU states that it is ranked 1st on student satisfaction and Middlesex has better overall rank. As an international student, I am not quite sure of the student experience and teaching. Help me with this. Please give some suggestions and advice. Thanks.

Hi there! Let's cut to the chase. Middlesex is quite a decent university located in a nice area in North London. However, I have heard some negative things about the university about teaching quality, management, etc. but do not let reviews or negative statements completely discourage you as it's quite a decent university. If you are also interested, the international student percentage is at 16% (As of 2023). However the university's location is not the best in my opinion because it's far away from central London and accessing important areas such as airports, and major railway stations can be inconvenient.

I personally am a international student at LSBU so therefore I can give you a better insight into what it's like here. I would say LSBU is a nice university with a great location. In 2022, they recently renovated the campus to make the environment more comfortable and more facilities have been added such as a large library. Being at LSBU as an architecture student has provided me with a lot of opportunities to interact with apprentice students (Students who work corporate jobs and study at the same time) which has given me more connections to the architecture industry in London and the rest of England. (KEEP IN MIND, I cannot say the same for engineering as our experiences are different.) I personally really like the way my teachers teach. They are super friendly and all my teachers are internationals (Expats). Although definitely there are 1 or 2 bad apples who are awful. The international student rate at LSBU is 14% (As of 2023). However, some negatives I have encountered are the home students, I would personally recommend you to be careful when working with them on projects. some home students at LSBU tend to be extremely lazy and irresponsible and international students and apprentice students absolutely HATE them and even the lecturers (Which in my opinion is understandable). I also think management needs to be improved when it comes to registering for the university they need to manage the process better. Overall, I think my experience is pretty alright, I have made a lot of friends with international students and apprentices. If you come to LSBU you should join the southeast Asian society!

Here's my take on this. Make sure to choose carefully but if you can get into a better uni go for it!

Quick Reply

Latest