The Student Room Group

PwC Flying Start Degree or Deloitte BrightStart Apprenticeship?

Hi guys,

I recently got an offer from PwC and QMUL for their BSc Accountancy degree course with paid placements (for 1 term in years 2,3 and 4) at PwC. Completing this degree will give 12/15 credits required for my Level 7 ACA which I will finish off a year after the course with a likely job offer from PwC. One drawback is that I will have to pay uni fees (~£31k total for 4y).

On the other hand I have an offer from Deloitte for an apprenticeship in Audit and Assurance, it's a 5 year course where I'll be gaining tons of experience and also working towards the Level 7 ACA which I will have completed by the end of it. It pays a good salary (~25k pa) but the lack of a degree does hold me back slightly.

I think there are advantages and disadvantages for both options and I just wanted to know what other people think about the two, or if they have any experience to share from being in one of these courses. The degree at QMUL seems quite similar to what the ACA covers in the way that the degree doesn't seem as much of a difference compared to the sole ACA I'd get at Deloitte.

I don't really want to pursue a full-time career in accounting/audit as it does seem quite mundane to me, I think that regardless of what option I take, I'll try to gain some years of experience and then do a MSc in Finance at a reputable university and begin progression to a CFO position or pursue finance/banking. Would I still be able to get a Master's at Oxford, Cambridge, LBS, LSE, UCL with just a Level 7 ACA and experience and not a degree (if I go with Deloitte)?

Thank you for taking time out to read, please let me know what you think about the two options and wether I'd be able to pursue a Master's.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Hi, I was wondering what you chose in the end how it is going for you so far?

Original post by 08zz23
Hi guys,

I recently got an offer from PwC and QMUL for their BSc Accountancy degree course with paid placements (for 1 term in years 2,3 and 4) at PwC. Completing this degree will give 12/15 credits required for my Level 7 ACA which I will finish off a year after the course with a likely job offer from PwC. One drawback is that I will have to pay uni fees (~£31k total for 4y).

On the other hand I have an offer from Deloitte for an apprenticeship in Audit and Assurance, it's a 5 year course where I'll be gaining tons of experience and also working towards the Level 7 ACA which I will have completed by the end of it. It pays a good salary (~25k pa) but the lack of a degree does hold me back slightly.

I think there are advantages and disadvantages for both options and I just wanted to know what other people think about the two, or if they have any experience to share from being in one of these courses. The degree at QMUL seems quite similar to what the ACA covers in the way that the degree doesn't seem as much of a difference compared to the sole ACA I'd get at Deloitte.

I don't really want to pursue a full-time career in accounting/audit as it does seem quite mundane to me, I think that regardless of what option I take, I'll try to gain some years of experience and then do a MSc in Finance at a reputable university and begin progression to a CFO position or pursue finance/banking. Would I still be able to get a Master's at Oxford, Cambridge, LBS, LSE, UCL with just a Level 7 ACA and experience and not a degree (if I go with Deloitte)?

Thank you for taking time out to read, please let me know what you think about the two options and wether I'd be able to pursue a Master's.
Reply 2
Original post by bhvjhvjg
Hi, I was wondering what you chose in the end how it is going for you so far?

sameee!
i have a masters degree can I still apply for the brightstar apprenticeship in deloitte? the rest of my education is not from within the UK and I dont need a visa sponsership.

Original post by ma937
sameee!
Reply 4
Original post by erfansharifi
i have a masters degree can I still apply for the brightstar apprenticeship in deloitte? the rest of my education is not from within the UK and I dont need a visa sponsership.

I'm not sure but you probs have a better chance applying to graduate roles!
THank you. I dont have the rest of my education in Uk.I have it from a less developed country and I feel I am not well prepared enough. I see so many students get rejected from top unis in graduate roles.

Original post by ma937
I'm not sure but you probs have a better chance applying to graduate roles!
Reply 6
Original post by erfansharifi
THank you. I dont have the rest of my education in Uk.I have it from a less developed country and I feel I am not well prepared enough. I see so many students get rejected from top unis in graduate roles.

Yeah i get that, it depends on how they see you as a person so I would say email student recruitment at deloitte and ask them how they would assess your application, all the best!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending