The Student Room Group

Help urgent maths

Help I don’t get part c,
I got an incorrect answer (whiteboard)
But the one on the paper is from the msIMG_2764.jpegIMG_2765.jpeg
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
If youve drawn a sketch, you should know the height of the 4kg mass (above the ground) when the 9kg mass hits the ground. Then add on your answer from your working.

Note, Id always work to at least 3 sig fig. Youve a slight difference as youre working to 2 sig fig.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
If youve drawn a sketch, you should know the height of the 4kg mass (above the ground) when the 9kg mass hits the ground. Then add on your answer from your working.

Note, Id always work to at least 3 sig fig. Youve a slight difference as youre working to 2 sig fig.

Are my suvat values correct, I’m really struggling plz help
Reply 3
Pretty much but your initial dispalcement (height of 4 kg mass when 9 kg mass hits the ground) isnt stated. Shoiuld be clear as the 4 kg mass is 0.6 m above the ground initially and the 9 kg mass is 0.2 m above the ground. So the latter descends 0.2 m so ...

Also work to 3 sig fig at least. u is 1.228.
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
Pretty much but your initial dispalcement (height of 4 kg mass when 9 kg mass hits the ground) isnt stated. Shoiuld be clear as the 4 kg mass is 0.6 m above the ground initially and the 9 kg mass is 0.2 m above the ground. So the latter descends 0.2 m so ...

Also work to 3 sig fig at least. u is 1.228.

Ahh I see but when I work out the s
Can I just add the original distance above the ground on ??
Reply 5
Yes. In the suvat equations, s is the displacement compared to the "initial" position (at time 0). So for the last part, the height above the ground is
0.8 + s = ...

Quick Reply

Latest