The Student Room Group

IGCSE english Language B. Would you read the extracts first or look at the questions?

In English Language B, you are given two extracts to read, and then have to answer questions based off the extacts.

Is it better to read the extracts first? OR work through the questions first, until section B when you really *do* need to read both extracts properly etc?

What is best time wise.. ?
Reply 1
if i remember right (i did igcses back in 2021 so it was TAGs, but we did full length exams in exam conditions to get those grades) i read through all the questions then looked at either the relevant lines or the whole extract in the context of the question asked! that means you know what to look for and can begin annotating with your relevant points :smile:
read the questions first for section A - that way you know what you're looking for
Original post by ZenDixon
In English Language B, you are given two extracts to read, and then have to answer questions based off the extacts.

Is it better to read the extracts first? OR work through the questions first, until section B when you really *do* need to read both extracts properly etc?

What is best time wise.. ?

To save time, it's more efficient to read over the questions so you have a basic idea of what you're looking for (as @PinkMobilePhone said).
If you've read the questions, read the extract then answered them and found a few that was difficult to answer, then maybe read the extracts in detail to see what you've missed, but ideally you want to lightly skim over the extract and only properly zoom into the bit that's relevant to the question if that makes sense.
Good luck for your exams!

Quick Reply

Latest