The Student Room Group

Help urgent maths

Help I don’t get this question at all can someone explain it… I’m struggling with how to work c out
I used my knowledge of parallel lines and got c to be -10 but that’s wrongIMG_2785.jpegIMG_2786.jpgits part a 😭
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
So Q moves in direction 3i - 4j (as it is parallel to p's movement) and has a fixed point of i - j . Another point that it gets to is 10i + cj.
Therefore, we can say that 10i +cj = i-j + a (3i - 4j) where a is a positive constant
Then match coefficients:
i: 10 = 1 + 3a --> a = 3
j: c = -1 - 4a
c = -1 - 4(3) = -13
Reply 2
Original post by Benji8492
So Q moves in direction 3i - 4j (as it is parallel to p's movement) and has a fixed point of i - j . Another point that it gets to is 10i + cj.
Therefore, we can say that 10i +cj = i-j + a (3i - 4j) where a is a positive constant
Then match coefficients:
i: 10 = 1 + 3a --> a = 3
j: c = -1 - 4a
c = -1 - 4(3) = -13

But
3i - 4j is the acceleration, why do we add it on??
Reply 3
Original post by Alevelhelp.1
But

You've got 2 things going on here:

Q moves from i - j to 10i +cj, so its "direction of motion" is 9i +(c+1)j - just by subtracting one position vector from the other.

P is moving with constant acceleration 3i - 4j, so suvat says v = u + ta = t(3i - 4j) since it starts from rest. So P's "direction of motion" is just 3i - 4j.

"Parallel" means 9i + (c+1)j = k(3i - 4j) for some scalar k, So k = 3 and c + 1 = -12 giving c = -13 as required.
Reply 4
Original post by davros
You've got 2 things going on here:

Q moves from i - j to 10i +cj, so its "direction of motion" is 9i +(c+1)j - just by subtracting one position vector from the other.

P is moving with constant acceleration 3i - 4j, so suvat says v = u + ta = t(3i - 4j) since it starts from rest. So P's "direction of motion" is just 3i - 4j.

"Parallel" means 9i + (c+1)j = k(3i - 4j) for some scalar k, So k = 3 and c + 1 = -12 giving c = -13 as required.

Omg you’re a star!! Thank you so much I appreciate it… btw I love how your responses are clear and straight to the point!! Thank youuu
I learn from looking at the working out and you help so much with that 🤍🤍🤍
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Alevelhelp.1
But

As we are told it starts at rest, we use the acceleration as an indicator of the direction that the particle is moving in (as acceleration is rate of increase in velocity).

Quick Reply

Latest