The Student Room Group

A-level courses for aspiring mangaka

Do you know what courses I should do if I want to become a mangaka. I want to learn how to structure and write stories so I was thinking Eng Lang, psychology and fine arts. What do you guys think?
Reply 1
Fine Art is definitely nice to get the artistic skills, English Language for the writing skills. Psychology is also a nice facilitating subject (excuse the old phrasing) due to being essay-based, so is well respected. All sound good too if you want to get into a uni course that could lead you to becoming a mangaka, such as Language which often has similar modules. If you want to increase your writing skills even more, English Literature may be something to consider? That gives you good critical skills and is often well respected. However, it's definitely not necessary for your pathway, so if you prefer Psychology (which would probably be the recommended ones to swap), I'd say stick with it: if you enjoy it more you'll do better.

So in short, your A-levels sound like great choices :smile:. Lit may be something to consider, but isn't necessary. Best of luck!
Reply 2
Hi , I don't know where you're from but I'm french and I can grarantee you can find what you want in Paris. I wanted to be a mangaka too a few years ago, and now my little sister wants to work (and is already working) on drawing and coloring manhwas, so i know a few schools that are fine. First, you have "L'école des beaux arts", which is one of the best, but first, you won't be solely working on mangas, but also on modern art and everything, and second it's pretty hard to get in. There's also "L'école des gobelins" and many others (even outside of Paris), or you could do a "Classe préparaatoire" in art section (but careful with those, I don't think you can find classes in english and I did one in biology, i quit because it was too much stress and too competitive). Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest