The Student Room Group

How many aspirational universities should I apply to?

I recently got my As level grades last week and I managed to achieve AAAB. However my predicted grades are somewhere between A*A*AB - A*AAB. I’m thinking of doing psychology for university.
Now I’m wondering if it would be completely unrealistic to apply to 3 unis with an A*AA grade requirements because I know we’re only recommended to apply to 2 but I’m only interested in those 3 courses which are all aspirational.
Original post by pim1310
I recently got my As level grades last week and I managed to achieve AAAB. However my predicted grades are somewhere between A*A*AB - A*AAB. I’m thinking of doing psychology for university.
Now I’m wondering if it would be completely unrealistic to apply to 3 unis with an A*AA grade requirements because I know we’re only recommended to apply to 2 but I’m only interested in those 3 courses which are all aspirational.

If you are only interested in those courses at those unis then 3 aspirational offers is not outlandish.

The general guidance is for 2 aspirational courses, (1 if you want to play it safe), but at the end of the day you get to decide how risky you want to be.

You can always apply to those 3, (or maybe4), early-ish and wait and see what responses you get before the Jan deadline. Then add another safe/risky choice depending on whether you've had offers already.
Have at least 1 safe, solid choice in there so that, whatever happens, you get to go to Uni on a course you want to do, regardless of the Uni it's at. Other than that, it really is up to you, as a rational adult. After all, assessing risk vs reward and making a decision on it is what most of life is about (and then enjoying the rewards when it pays off).

Good luck.
You can apply to those three courses first and gauge where else you should apply based on the replies you receive. Out of curiosity, which unis are you planning to apply to and why?
Reply 4
In my opinion, three aspirational unis are fine. I know you're usually advised to limit yourself to one or two but there are exceptions to every rule. With three spots taken by those unis, you have two other spots for unis with lower entry requirements. By the time you get offers, you'll be more certain about what grades you think you can achieve. You can then choose your firm and insurance choices accordingly.

I know it's a riskier route than having less aspirational unis but if you think this is within your capabilities, why not go for it? Just make sure that every uni on your list is one you'll like to attend even the safer choices.
Original post by pim1310

The reason you are told to only apply to 1 or 2 aspirational universities is to give a better chance of achieving more offers. The reality is that students apply to all high ranking universities every year and end up getting no offers. How would you feel if you ended up in that position because that is a risk you would be taking.

As far as offers most universities make offers to high percentages of students. The exceptions are Oxbridge and top London universities ICL, LSE UCL and Kings. Also Durham and St Andrews. Outside of these the risk is not as high.

It is entirely up to you how much risk you take but if it goes wrong you are the only one to blame.

My biggest concern is you are taking 4 subjects which isnt advisable. Concentrate on 3 giving you the best chance of achieving your offer. Universities only look for 3 A levels and look for the highest grades in these. A*AA is better than A*ABB and missing a grade could cost you your place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending