The Student Room Group

Withdrew from Oxford(health)- reapplying to similar course at Cambridge(mature)

Hi all! I’ll make my query short!

I did one year of economics and management at Oxford, but had to unfortunately suspend my studies for two years and this led to my eventual voluntary withdrawal due to multiple health complications.

I’m considering reapplying to either economics or HSPS next year at Cambridge.

I did STEM with 4* back then, with a 2:2 for prelim. If I were to reapply to:

1) economics - will the mature college consider it a little unnecessary because I had done a little during my first year at Oxford and thus become disadvantaged?

2) HSPS - I see from other threads that lots of applicants did humanities for their a levels. Will my academic background similarly puts me at a disadvantage?

This is a little complicated, but thank you all for possible advice
Probably worth just reaching out to the mature college(s) in question directly.

Note that as you've been out of education for some time by the sound of it, they may expect you to undertake some more recent study in any event (particularly I would imagine with economics, they might want to see that you still have your mathematical chops...).

I don't think you would necessarily be disadvantaged due to having previously studied that subject but having to withdraw due to health issues. The somewhat weaker preformance in your first year at Oxford may be a disadvantage but if you were affected by your health issues at the time that may be less of a factor anyway.

I don't think HSPS explicitly requires any specific subjects at A-level or equivalent, but they may want to see evidence that you can write long form essays and not only do problem sheets, evidenced via any admissions assessments or submitted work.

If you do need to do any more recent study then you can tailor that accordingly to your course of interest anyway :smile:
So long as you’ve been enrolled in full time education within the last 3 years you can apply with your record as is. One would hope your admittance to Oxford would be enough (providing a strong personal statement/additional documents) to be invited to interview. Once there, it’s all down to how you perform.

Mature colleges are used to atypical applicant backgrounds, so yours (providing you are able to explain them) shouldn’t be a hindrance. In my experience they take a much more holistic view of their applicants.

Re. humanities for HSPS, so long as you communicate in your PS why you are suited to the course, I don’t see it being a problem. Be sure to reference some readings in your PS and expect them to come up in your discussions at interview.
Original post by Caros12
Hi all! I’ll make my query short!
I did one year of economics and management at Oxford, but had to unfortunately suspend my studies for two years and this led to my eventual voluntary withdrawal due to multiple health complications.
I’m considering reapplying to either economics or HSPS next year at Cambridge.
I did STEM with 4* back then, with a 2:2 for prelim. If I were to reapply to:
1) economics - will the mature college consider it a little unnecessary because I had done a little during my first year at Oxford and thus become disadvantaged?
2) HSPS - I see from other threads that lots of applicants did humanities for their a levels. Will my academic background similarly puts me at a disadvantage?
This is a little complicated, but thank you all for possible advice
I know this is going to sound crazy, but I did PPE for a year at Oxford left for difficult circumstances and have applied as a mature student to HSPS - for this year. Honestly, I've seen stories about people applying later for a different course and getting in. Also, I got asked about why it's a more suitable course for me at interview; that being said, from what I've seen they just want people who really like the subject and can think for themselves.

To pass both parts of the TSA and Oxford interviews you have to think for yourself - so clearly you're capable. Economics can be seen as super mathsy but I see it view it as a study of people interacting and reacting: a very broad social science. HSPS is also a broad social science. You can spin your experience positively.

You can also spin it negatively by focusing on the fact, you'll probably never have come across branches of anthropology such as biological anthropology and archaeology - spinning it this way is being a dummy dumb.

I'm waiting on my offer - due to come out this week. If you also receive it would be great to make your acquaintance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending