The Student Room Group

AQA A level Biology - Genetic Fingerprinting

Hi can someone please clear up my understanding of this process. I have spent a long time on many different sources online trying to figure it out but none of them seem to directly address any of my questions.

So genetic fingerprinting is about comparing the VNTRs in a person's DNA. The first step is to cut the VNTRs out of the DNA using a restriction endonuclease. Then you amplify the VNTRs using PCR. Then you seperate them using electrophoresis. Then you transfer to nylon membrane, heat to seperate strands and add the probe complementary to the VNTRs to show them under UV light.

Is this correct, that will get me marks in the exam? Thanks for your time. :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Har6547
Hi can someone please clear up my understanding of this process. I have spent a long time on many different sources online trying to figure it out but none of them seem to directly address any of my questions.

So genetic fingerprinting is about comparing the VNTRs in a person's DNA. The first step is to cut the VNTRs out of the DNA using a restriction endonuclease. Then you amplify the VNTRs using PCR. Then you seperate them using electrophoresis. Then you transfer to nylon membrane, heat to seperate strands and add the probe complementary to the VNTRs to show them under UV light.

Is this correct, that will get me marks in the exam? Thanks for your time. :smile:

It all sounds correct to me. There are almost certainly a few 5/6 markers about the topic you could find to solidify the marking points. Just remember why each step is done - like the fact they are made single stranded so the probe can bind and transferred to a nylon membrane because agar will dry up and shrink over time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending