The Student Room Group

Newcastle medicine UCAT entry ?

I want to apply to Newcastle university for medicine but I got a UCAT score of 2730 band 2 and I heard that the cutoff is around 2800 for 2022, I'm also on the Sutton trust program and the ucat cutoff is lower for those on the PARTNERS program and I’m wondering if that applies to me aswell. Is it still worth applying to Newcastle with this score.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question - or may be a better place to post your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2023 Admissions Tests:
UCAT 2023 Discussion
BMAT 2023 Discussion
GAMSAT 2023 Discussion
UCAT 2023 Results

Other application years:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Original post by Abagyh
I want to apply to Newcastle university for medicine but I got a UCAT score of 2630 band 2 and I heard that the cutoff is around 2800 for 2022, I'm also on the Sutton trust program and the ucat cutoff is lower for those on the PARTNERS program and I’m wondering if that applies to me aswell. Is it still worth applying to Newcastle with this score.

Their PARTNERS cutoff is usually 100 points below their cutoff, which was 2860 for 2022 entry.
Reply 3
Yea I thought it was around there aswell, my question is do I still have a chance with Newcastle or not

Original post by hungrysalamander
Their PARTNERS cutoff is usually 100 points below their cutoff, which was 2860 for 2022 entry.
Original post by Abagyh
Yea I thought it was around there aswell, my question is do I still have a chance with Newcastle or not

Historically no, but it depends on this years threshold and then how much Newcastle wants to decrease the threshold by for Partners
Original post by username5319484

It was 2800 for standard entry
It's on their website
Reply 6
Original post by Rishig47
It was 2800 for standard entry
It's on their website

During the standard application round it was 2850 (and this was published on the website). After the UCAS deadlines had passed, Newcastle decided to go back and interview a small number of extra people, which dropped the cut off to 2800. Had they shortlisted 40 or so extra applicants in the initial round, the cut off would have been far higher than 2800, btu many people with scores between 2800 and 2850 had already accepted offers elsewhere
Reply 7
Original post by Abagyh
I want to apply to Newcastle university for medicine but I got a UCAT score of 2730 band 2 and I heard that the cutoff is around 2800 for 2022, I'm also on the Sutton trust program and the ucat cutoff is lower for those on the PARTNERS program and I’m wondering if that applies to me aswell. Is it still worth applying to Newcastle with this score.

Hi was just wondering where u ended up applying as I got the exact same ucat as u and need ideas of where to apply
Reply 8
Original post by Abaldrouby
Hi was just wondering where u ended up applying as I got the exact same ucat as u and need ideas of where to apply

I got 2720 and am thinking of applying for Newcastle (PARTNERS applicant)
Reply 9
Original post by rh1209

Same I think k I’m gonna just take it as aspirational and wish for the best
Reply 10

Same 😭 I really want to go to Newcastle so keeping the fingers crossed as the UCAT cutoff for partners has actually dropped the last few years. Best of luck!
Reply 11
Original post by rh1209
Same 😭 I really want to go to Newcastle so keeping the fingers crossed as the UCAT cutoff for partners has actually dropped the last few years. Best of luck!

Same and the BBB offer is just an extra incentive 😭 we just gotta pray it stays lower GL to you aswell

i got 2740 and i applied so just hoping for the best!
Original post by rh1209

Did you apply for it?
Reply 14
Original post by revadz9

Did you apply for it?

yh got an offer!
Original post by rh1209
yh got an offer!

Congrats fr. I’m thinking of applying for 2025 entry. Would you say Newcastle focus on GCSEs or they aren’t as bothered.
Reply 16
Original post by revadz9

Congrats fr. I’m thinking of applying for 2025 entry. Would you say Newcastle focus on GCSEs or they aren’t as bothered.

thanks sm, they usually don’t take GCSE’s into account at all but for entry next year they’re changing it, it’s gonna be 50:50 UCAT to GCSE’s, with a max of 40 points from your best 8 GCSE’s
Reply 17
Original post by rh1209
yh got an offer!
Wait no way same I remeber discussing this with you guess our bets paid off
Reply 18
Original post by Ab.al
Wait no way same I remeber discussing this with you guess our bets paid off

aw stop it no way i’m so happy seeing this 😭 are u gonna firm it
Original post by rh1209
thanks sm, they usually don’t take GCSE’s into account at all but for entry next year they’re changing it, it’s gonna be 50:50 UCAT to GCSE’s, with a max of 40 points from your best 8 GCSE’s

Ahh where did you find this info from. My GCSE are probably my weakest point so it’s looking long ig

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending