The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Cost of Living Support at Kingston University

With inflation staying at a steady 8.7% this month and food prices showing no signs of dropping, I thought it would be a good opportunity to reintroduce the cost of living support Kingston University offers to any current students struggling with the rising costs, as well as to reassure and inform any new students who might be worried about the cost of attending this September. Although finances are unbelievably tight at the moment for many families, university should always be an option regardless of your financial situation - and the following programs and initiatives can help anyone who's feeling the squeeze.

Financial Aid
Last year, Kingston awarded over 700 bursaries to new students to help them get started, as well as having a support fund for any students who run into unexpected financial difficulties during their studies.

Work Opportunities
On top of being an accredited living wage employer, Kingston University employs a lot of its student body for various tasks, whether that's helping out at open days and graduations or mentoring first-year students on your course. As a Student Ambassador myself, I highly recommend getting involved with working for the university if possible - they tend to be more understanding of student schedules than other employers, and can function as more of a 'gig economy' system where you pick and choose what and where to work rather than having to stick to strict working hours.

Warm Spaces
If you're struggling with the cost of heating and waiting for financial support, Kingston University's heated libraries are available during the evenings - including Penrhyn Road's 'Town House', which is open 24 hours throughout the week.

Initiatives
From a winter coat drive to free breakfasts and modern, accessible food banks, regular events are held across all campuses to help students struggling with the cost of living crisis. Make sure to look for posters advertising these events in the corridors of campus when heading to class, or check your student newsletter emails for more information.

Charity Support
Kingston has a number of reputable charities which students can turn to for additional support outside of the university itself, some of which include Kingston Council, Turn2Us, National Debtline and The Money Charity.

Whilst I hope this has given you some ideas, if you're a current student at Kingston University, you can log into MyKingston or check out the Student Wellbeing Hub for more information. If you're joining us in September or January, check out the cost of living page on the Kingston University website.

- Eve (Kingston Rep).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending