The Student Room Group

Hypothesis testing

A machine fails on average 3 times out of 10. An engineer designs a new machine that he believes has a reduced failure rate. He uses his new machine 50 times in order to test his belief.
b) State suitable null and alternative hypotheses.

I’m not sure about what H1 should be as I don’t understand whether this would be a one or two tail test
Reply 1
Original post by domm8
A machine fails on average 3 times out of 10. An engineer designs a new machine that he believes has a reduced failure rate. He uses his new machine 50 times in order to test his belief.

I’m not sure about what H1 should be as I don’t understand whether this would be a one or two tail test

What is the failure probability for the null hypothesis and if the belief is a reduced failure rate then ...
Original post by domm8

‘That he believes has a reduced failure rate’ - so it’s a one tailed test. It would be two tailed if you were testiG if the failure rate was DIFFERENT.

Quick Reply

Latest