The Student Room Group

A-level photography

i’m still considering taking this a-level, my school does it on powerpoint and i was wondering if anyone else did the a-level like this? what does the powerpoint look like? do you decorate it or is it there a set style because i’ve seen most powerpoitns at my school are typically plain black? how do you layout the powerpoint pages? do you take many of your own photos and if so what sorts of things- is it people, landscape, objects etc or is it entirely up to you or are you expected to cover all? also are most photos taken within the lesson or do you do more at home? and finally how do you take a good photo- like is it editing or is it just good lighting? are you expected to come up with really arty ideas?
Reply 1
I have just finished Y12 photography, every school is going to be different and it really depends on what you passions are but I absolutely love it. Personally it helped that I already knew that i enjoyed photography beforehand but I didn't have a camera or anything like that. You should be taught how to use a camera, for instance my school did workshops throughout the year up until about march time with mini projects until we started a mock project, but again, every school will be different. It would be worth looking into it with your specific school as my school lends out cameras but yours may be different.

In terms of the sketchbook, you are allowed to be as creative with it as you like! but beware the arty pages dont necessarily get extra marks for this it just shows pride in your work. Photography is an intense course and you have to be prepared to put allot of time into it but if you are committed and willing to learn you will be absolutely fine! The fact that you are so curious about it suggests you will be.

In terms of what photos you take. When i say anything, i mean anything, you will be given projects, for instance identitty, and you can explore portraits or whatever your most drawn to within this. It is entirely up to you, although expect it to be more straight forward at the start of the year as you are more liely to be snet off on a project to explore portraits etc.

Taking a good photo includes everything from lighting, camera settings and photoshop and of course your ideas. "arty ideas" can be overwhelming at first, trust me, I thought i couldn't do it at all when i first started (expecially as i didn't have any previous art experience) but once you get into the swing of it it becomes so much easier and more enjoyable.

Of course as a lover of photography i am slightly biased so definitly email your school and look around but this is my personal experience.

Hope this helps! :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by daveeades
i’m still considering taking this a-level, my school does it on powerpoint and i was wondering if anyone else did the a-level like this? what does the powerpoint look like? do you decorate it or is it there a set style because i’ve seen most powerpoitns at my school are typically plain black? how do you layout the powerpoint pages? do you take many of your own photos and if so what sorts of things- is it people, landscape, objects etc or is it entirely up to you or are you expected to cover all? also are most photos taken within the lesson or do you do more at home? and finally how do you take a good photo- like is it editing or is it just good lighting? are you expected to come up with really arty ideas?

Hello, I've just finished 2nd year A-Level photography (Eduqas) and it's a really fun yet challenging course. My college did our work in A3 sketchbooks (Black or white paged) but we also had powerpoints which we would print out and stick into the sketchbooks.

The course isn't necessarily about taking the best photos, it's more about showing your development and creativity as a photographer, in LOTS of detail. You can have a really good photo but if you don't show how you built up to that photo through analysis, experimentation and research, you will not hit the higher end of the assessment criteria.

I am predicted an A in Photography so if you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending