The Student Room Group

Further maths grade boundaries

Howdy :smile:.

I don't understand the grade boundaries for the AQA Further Maths papers.

Do you have to get a minimum mark in each paper to get a specific grade?

For example, the below has a grade 4 at 44 marks. Underneath it is paper one at 18 marks and paper two at 26 marks.

Does that mean I just need to get 44 marks for a grade 4

or

44 marks where 18 are in paper one and 26 in paper two? :s-smilie:

Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 19.57.45.png
Original post by makin

For example, the below has a grade 4 at 44 marks. Underneath it is paper one at 18 marks and paper two at 26 marks.

or

You will note that your screenshot says that it shows, "confirmed subject grade boundaries and the notional component grades boundaries for illustrative purposes only." What that means is that the actual grade boundaries are at the subject level - i.e. once the marks from the two papers have been added together. However, if you've taken a single paper, perhaps for practice or as a mock, then they've given you a guide as to what you might want to use a grade boundaries on that paper alone. From the paper-specific (component) boundaries above, it would seem that Paper 1 was harder than Paper 2. You should ignore those paper-specific boundaries. As it says, they are "illustrative purposes only".

For a grade 4 you'd need to get 44 marks out of the total of 160 marks across both papers. You could get all 44 marks from Paper 1 (and zero from Paper 2), or all 44 marks from Paper 2 (and zero from Paper 1), or - much more likely - you'd get some marks from each paper.
Original post by makin

or

Underneath are the ‘notional component grade boundaries’, which indicate what in theory the grade boundaries for each paper would be individually. To you, they are meaningless. To a teacher, they are more useful as they are intended for use so that mock papers can be graded if only a single paper is used,

44/160 across both papers regardless of where you achieve the marks would be a grade 4.

Quick Reply

Latest