The Student Room Group

gap year for engineering, good or bad?

hey everyone, I was hoping to gain advice on my situation. I had my end of years (on which predicted grades are based on) and they weren't as good as I wanted them to be due to external circumstances, however the teachers said that the grades will still be based on this test and its gonna be hard to take into account other stuff. so overall I dont think my grades are gonna be very good, the thing is I wanted to study engineering (or computer science related degrees) at competitive universities ( like imperial, ucl, nottingham etc.) . I was planning on taking a gap year since I know I can do a LOT better in the actual exams and also to gain some exerience in the industry. Some people that I've spoken to told me not to do this since sometimes for engineering (and other maths based subjects) univesities are less likely to accept gap year students since they are more likely to "forget" maths. I'm aware there are other ways to gain experince in industy (like year in industry), I'm mainly doing this since I absolutly destroyed my mocks and its likely my grades are not good enough for good non competitive universities. I wanted to know if I'm making a big mistake and if this is the right decision whether to apply to unis this year to (I'm in year 12).

sorry for the long paragraph and thank you for reading :smile:

subjects I take: further maths, maths, chemistry and physics
If you don’t get As or A*s as predicted, the chances of obtaining A*s in your exams are very slim. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but data says it’s very unlikely. I would ask to re-sit my mocks in September to improve my predicted grades and my overall knowledge of yr12 content.
And they are not ‘less likely’ to accept gap year students if they have used their gap year for useful purposes like work experience close to the area of interest.
Original post by _Serotonin_
hey everyone, I was hoping to gain advice on my situation. I had my end of years (on which predicted grades are based on) and they weren't as good as I wanted them to be due to external circumstances, however the teachers said that the grades will still be based on this test and its gonna be hard to take into account other stuff. so overall I dont think my grades are gonna be very good, the thing is I wanted to study engineering (or computer science related degrees) at competitive universities ( like imperial, ucl, nottingham etc.) . I was planning on taking a gap year since I know I can do a LOT better in the actual exams and also to gain some exerience in the industry. Some people that I've spoken to told me not to do this since sometimes for engineering (and other maths based subjects) univesities are less likely to accept gap year students since they are more likely to "forget" maths. I'm aware there are other ways to gain experince in industy (like year in industry), I'm mainly doing this since I absolutly destroyed my mocks and its likely my grades are not good enough for good non competitive universities. I wanted to know if I'm making a big mistake and if this is the right decision whether to apply to unis this year to (I'm in year 12).

As above, if you take a gap year, use it well and wisely so as to not end up at a disadvantage compared to other applicants.

Before you absolutely set your mind upon taking a gap year, at least wait for your mock results to come back so you can decide if your predicted grades will meet or exceed the entry requirements for the courses you are interested in.
Reply 4
Original post by lanky_giraffe
If you don’t get As or A*s as predicted, the chances of obtaining A*s in your exams are very slim. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but data says it’s very unlikely. I would ask to re-sit my mocks in September to improve my predicted grades and my overall knowledge of yr12 content.

I see, I tried asking my teachers for resiting my mocks however they said that its very unlikely they're gonna have another test in september. I dont think I did horrible in my subjects, the subjects that I'm mainly worried about it maths and further maths (the most important for engineering) in tests that I did at home before I've been getting above 75% but due to extrenal circumstances I wasn't able to revise very much last month (especially for further maths) so I didnt do my best. do you think I should apply to universities this year ? and then if my results are a lot higher I can decide to take a gap year later
Reply 5
And they are not ‘less likely’ to accept gap year students if they have used their gap year for useful purposes like work experience close to the area of interest.

Oh ok, Thank you for the advice
Reply 6
Original post by TypicalNerd
As above, if you take a gap year, use it well and wisely so as to not end up at a disadvantage compared to other applicants.

Before you absolutely set your mind upon taking a gap year, at least wait for your mock results to come back so you can decide if your predicted grades will meet or exceed the entry requirements for the courses you are interested in.

yeah I get my results this month, thank you for the advice
I see, I tried asking my teachers for resiting my mocks however they said that its very unlikely they're gonna have another test in september. I dont think I did horrible in my subjects, the subjects that I'm mainly worried about it maths and further maths (the most important for engineering) in tests that I did at home before I've been getting above 75% but due to extrenal circumstances I wasn't able to revise very much last month (especially for further maths) so I didnt do my best. do you think I should apply to universities this year ? and then if my results are a lot higher I can decide to take a gap year later

Just explain your extenuating circumstances to your teachers and I’m sure they’ll let you resit your exams (if they are valid reasons).
yeah I get my results this month, thank you for the advice

Then it’s not an especially long wait. Until then, find a means of distracting yourself from thinking about gap years etc.

Well, I would guess that your mock papers will be graded against the 2022 AS grade boundaries for whichever exam boards you are doing. Even if that guess is wrong, I doubt you’ll need over 75% for an A in either.

At AS, an A in maths and FM is usually only requires marks around 60% in each (at least for Edexcel).
Reply 9
Just explain your extenuating circumstances to your teachers and I’m sure they’ll let you resit your exams (if they are valid reasons).

yeah I explained to them, my teachers understood how difficult it must have been for me to revise however since this was the end of years for the whole of year 12 cohort they pointed out how difficult it would be to collect new questions and create a whole paper just for me and also to figure out grade boundaries for that paper when only one person is sitting it, theyr'e not allowed to just use past papers (since people may use them to revise). they did say they will look at class tests however since class test are topic tests theyr'e significantly easier (so I've been getting 80% and above). I want to show my teachers that I can work well even in difficult tests (with revision of course).
(edited 5 months ago)

I believe the concern regarding forgetting maths is found only in the most selective maths courses. I'm not aware of this being a concern amongst engineering admissions tutors.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear your grades were not as expected. In terms of taking a gap year this doesn’t put you at a disadvantage. Once you have your grades in your subjects, universities will assume your level based on these, not the fact you may have “forgotten” this is just rumour.

Doing a gap year can also give you some experience to show to universities. You could take part in some projects to do with engineering/computer science, gain some work experience etc. This will show you have a passion for your course which is attractive to universities.

Do what you think is best for you and your experience!

Hope this helped,
- Sophie (uni of Bath)

Yes, for maths-based courses this is true. I would say to apply to backup options, secure an offer and reject on results day if the results are as competitive for these Uni's (AAA+). Then, I would recommend you sit A-Level Further Maths in your gap year (if you are not sitting this A-Level. If the Uni's that you wish to apply for require you to sit an entrance exam (check on the entry requirement websites for each Uni), then I would say that sitting Further Maths would be unnecessary as you would be proving that you are still capable of Maths during your gap year. Don't listen to the people saying in this thread that you are unlikely to improve - work your backside off next year to get your grades and try to sort out a situation that removes the personal circumstances you mentioned.
Would you be able to explain to your teachers that
1. Your mock grades were only an outlier to your consistently strong results
2 even if your 80% class test scores are only “average” in comparison to the rest of the class, this is literally just 1 school and a level grade boundaries are based on national performance, rather than individual grade boundaries for different schools so it is just very unfair for teachers to judge your predicted grades on one case
3 they are predicted grades and over a year students can and do drastically improve, and this is on top of the fact you’ve already been achieving really high results
4 MOST IMPORTANTLY, the reason having good predicted grades that actually reflect what you are likely to achieve + your skills + hard work is because it means you have to apply to different and less competitive unis than you want to, and may even have to take an additionally year of your life of before uni - and neither of these are if your own choice. This is not just bad for you but also for your school (less ppl going to top unis).
The main thing you should stress to your teachers is that these are very unfair especially as you have had to deal with poor circumstances and as the ppl who know you (in contra to uni admissions staff) they should know your true capabilities and what is best for you. And also show evidence that you are very committed to getting As/A*s (eg asking advice, keeping doing well in tests, maybe talking about doing STEM olympiads, that you want to apply to unis like Imperial and Nottingham and therefore are ambitious and school staff should not stop you from achieving your dreams).

(This is just from my understanding of the thread, pls correct me if I misinterpreted anything)

I hope this helps and things go well for you
Reply 14
Original post by freyamichelle
Yes, for maths-based courses this is true. I would say to apply to backup options, secure an offer and reject on results day if the results are as competitive for these Uni's (AAA+). Then, I would recommend you sit A-Level Further Maths in your gap year (if you are not sitting this A-Level. If the Uni's that you wish to apply for require you to sit an entrance exam (check on the entry requirement websites for each Uni), then I would say that sitting Further Maths would be unnecessary as you would be proving that you are still capable of Maths during your gap year. Don't listen to the people saying in this thread that you are unlikely to improve - work your backside off next year to get your grades and try to sort out a situation that removes the personal circumstances you mentioned.

thank you so much for the advice, I take A level further maths already so taking it again may not be a good idea but I'll look into university entrance exams.
thank you so much for the advice, I take A level further maths already so taking it again may not be a good idea but I'll look into university entrance exams.

My bad, didn't see you mention it earlier. I would just replace taking Further with any Maths Olympiads or just any proof of independent study (you could do some cool engineering coding project or something and put on your PS). That being said, this stuff is probably the least of your priorities rn. Focus on getting the grades then take it from there :smile:
Staying sharp at mathematics will definitely be important however if you do some revision the last month or so before university you’ll be fine.

I don’t really see a gap year as either a net pro or con. You have 40+ years so a couple extra years before you enter the workforce wont make a tremendous difference. However i do think taking 12 months you still need to channel your time in a proactive manner wether you work/volunteer etc.
Reply 17
thats a good idea, I look into taking other maths exams

Original post by freyamichelle
My bad, didn't see you mention it earlier. I would just replace taking Further with any Maths Olympiads or just any proof of independent study (you could do some cool engineering coding project or something and put on your PS). That being said, this stuff is probably the least of your priorities rn. Focus on getting the grades then take it from there :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by mnot
Staying sharp at mathematics will definitely be important however if you do some revision the last month or so before university you’ll be fine.

I don’t really see a gap year as either a net pro or con. You have 40+ years so a couple extra years before you enter the workforce wont make a tremendous difference. However i do think taking 12 months you still need to channel your time in a proactive manner wether you work/volunteer etc.

thank you, I have a couple gap year programms i want to apply to so I'll make sure not to waste the time

Quick Reply

Latest