The Student Room Group

Open days of labs and departments

How old do you have to be to attend an open day at university of oxford, and to go look around meet people and get answers for your questions from highly educated people? Is there a rule about that?
Original post by Ema_Levicar
How old do you have to be to attend an open day at university of oxford, and to go look around meet people and get answers for your questions from highly educated people? Is there a rule about that?

I don’t believe there is a dedicated rule as such.

I imagine that the open days are generally aimed at year 12’s, 13’s and prospective postgrad students but I somewhat doubt they’d tell you to sling your hook if you aren’t any of the above - after all, it can difficult to judge by eye how old someone is.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
The open days are aimed at year 12s and prospective applicants, and I think they just happened last week. There's nothing stopping you from just going up to Oxford, though since it wouldnt be an official open day I assume it would be harder to find people to talk to
Reply 3
Original post by TypicalNerd
I don’t believe there is a dedicated rule as such.

I imagine that the open days are generally aimed at year 12’s, 13’s and prospective postgrad students but I somewhat doubt they’d tell you to sling your hook if you aren’t any of the above - after all, it can difficult to judge by eye how old someone is.

So do you suggest a 13 year-old would be accepted and acknowledged? I really want to go to a few open days to widen my horizon but as a young teenager with high interests a lot of people don't take me seriously. Thanks though. :smile:
So do you suggest a 13 year-old would be accepted and acknowledged? I really want to go to a few open days to widen my horizon but as a young teenager with high interests a lot of people don't take me seriously. Thanks though. :smile:

I wouldn’t know if they’d tell you you aren’t allowed to go around. Definitely show up accompanied by an adult if you do decide to give it a shot.
Reply 5

If you live close to oxford then id say give it a go, but if its a long drive to get there, I dont think they'd let someone so young into the labs and stuff, your best chance is to email a specific college or a uni email, and ask if there was a possibility you could go round and see a lab. Its best to know whether you would be able to walk around before you go all the way up there
Having had a bit of a think, the next official open day for Oxford is on the 15th of September, which is a Friday and will presumably clash with school.

I imagine open days at Oxford may not be practical to consider at this point, but what you should instead consider is seeing if they have any outreach events at the university aimed at your age group
Reply 7
Thanks for all of the advice guys it really helps a lot!
This may be worth looking at (bear in mind it may be subject to change): https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/increasing-access/programmes-for-students

For most of these, the eligibility criteria would currently preclude you and it doesn’t appear the university itself has listed any events that are hosted at the university on said page.

It may be useful to know which course at Oxford you are interested in, as there may be more outreach events listed elsewhere specifically for said course and there may be events hosted at the university for your age group.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending