The Student Room Group

Sheffield or York?

I have offers for both to study Molecular Biology, however I am completely torn as to which one I should go to. I have visited both and I found of them both to be excellent in terms of teaching and in terms of location.

They both seem to be fairly evenly matched in terms of prestige and reputation. I honestly can't separate them, which one would you go for?

Has/is anyone studied/studying at either of these universities? Could you tell me what it's like; what are the good and bad points? how's the area like as a whole?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

I'd pick York
Reply 2
Original post by Captain Hindsight
I'd pick York

On what grounds?
Reply 3
Do you want to live in a big city, or a quiet town?

That's the only thing that really ought to factor into your decision, other things being seemingly equal.
Original post by michaelhaych
On what grounds?

Well, both universities are excellent so other factors have to come into play when deciding on which university to pick. I myself would prefer to go to York because it has more rural elements than Sheffield which is a city. Also, York is really northern and you could go for walks in the Yorkshire dales etc. Both unis are good so you should choose which to firm based on location, travel etc
Reply 5
Well, both universities are excellent so other factors have to come into play when deciding on which university to pick. I myself would prefer to go to York because it has more rural elements than Sheffield which is a city. Also, York is really northern and you could go for walks in the Yorkshire dales etc. Both unis are good so you should choose which to firm based on location, travel etc

Even though Sheffield is a city uni ,it is also close to areas of countryside, if this is an important factor.
I visited Sheffield on an open day and very nearly put it as my firm choice, due to its easy access, good reputation, close to music arenas, close to shopping, ice rink and ski slope not far away.

I don't know much about York, but I would highly reccomend Sheffield
Reply 6

True but Sheffield borders the Peak District national park making it fairly rural itself.

Both universities have good and bad points; Sheffield has prettier buildings but York has a bigger lake and a lot more ducks. This decision is too hard, can't I just go to both?!
True but Sheffield borders the Peak District national park making it fairly rural itself.

Both universities have good and bad points; Sheffield has prettier buildings but York has a bigger lake and a lot more ducks. This decision is too hard, can't I just go to both?!

its up to you where you'd like to live for 3 years. have you visited both of them, perhaps visiting them both would help you decide?
Original post by Fward
Even though Sheffield is a city uni ,it is also close to areas of countryside, if this is an important factor.
I visited Sheffield on an open day and very nearly put it as my firm choice, due to its easy access, good reputation, close to music arenas, close to shopping, ice rink and ski slope not far away.

I don't know much about York, but I would highly reccomend Sheffield

in terms of social life, I agree. Sheff is better when it comes to things to do
I've visited both, and i put york down as my insurance over sheffield. That was purely based on reputation for psychology and league tables, if they are pretty much similar on the biology front- I would go for Sheffield. My friend is a student at york and he says that there isn't much to do, the Sheffield Campus is also more integrated into the city and nicer, whereas for york you have to take a bus into the city which isn't THAT good anyway for things to do as a student.
im at sheffield and socially it is the best union in the country!!

the student areas are posh, the uni is like 20 min walk from town!

public transport is immense, with buses running on fridays and saturday nights ALL NIGHT!

the library is open 24 hours a day 365 days a year.
never realised york has such a bad rep social-wise....
Original post by pinkangelgirl
im at sheffield and socially it is the best union in the country!!

the student areas are posh, the uni is like 20 min walk from town!

public transport is immense, with buses running on fridays and saturday nights ALL NIGHT!

the library is open 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

I've visited there before, I wouldn't say they're that posh, they look alright with some modern parts. Which bits are you referring to anyway?
Original post by keyboard-warrior
I've visited there before, I wouldn't say they're that posh, they look alright with some modern parts. Which bits are you referring to anyway?

well not 'posh-posh' but very nice compared to most Unis student areas.

Crookes, Broomhill, Crookesmoor are nice areas.
Reply 14

On the open day I went to, they told me the housing that surrounds the student accommodation goes for over a million pounds each...
I'm currently at Sheffield, doing biochemistry (so the same department and the exact same course in the first year). I actually looked into York as well and I do think that there are some differences in the course structure. York's course seems to have quite the biomed slant whereas the course at Sheffield is "pure, basic science". You can switch to any other course within the MBB after first year and there's limited switching possibility even after the second year. At Sheffield, you can choose to keep your course slant-free or you can choose some biomed-related modules if you want (and there's a possibility to take some modules taught by the biomed department). Basically, do want to study biomolecular sciences from a somewhat biomed POV from the start (York) or keep your options open for longer while still retaining the possibility of specializing (Sheffield)?

PS. Sheffield rocks, it really does. No wonder it's got such high scores on the NSS (100% course satisfaction within MBB!).
I study biochem at York (we have most of our lectures with biology so that includes people studying molecular biology etc).
plus points would be:
- varied course structure because you'll study all parts of biology in your first year giving you chance to choose whatever modules you want in further years or even switch degree title
- lovely campus and city, even though the campus is on the outskirts it's really easy to get to the centre
- accommodation is nearly all on campus, easy to get to lectures and every where else on campus
- college system means you tend to have a good circle of friends and college rivalry in things like sports etc and events/socials specific to your college as well as whole uni events
- decent nightlife, sooo many bars and pubs and a solid set of clubs (4 student nights a week in the main clubs)

bad points:
- if you want to go clubbing all the time you may get bored of York after a year (I haven't found this a problem though, personally)
- I can't actually think of any more bad points...
never realised york has such a bad rep social-wise....

It doesn't...for a small city there's actually a lot to do and a surprising amount of people go out pretty much every night.
Reply 18
I've been having nearly exactly the same problem! The only difference is that I've applied for the straight Biology course, not Biochemistry
It's such a difficult decision. =S
Reply 19
but York has a bigger lake and a lot more ducks. This decision is too hard, can't I just go to both?!

You joker!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending