The Student Room Group

What should I do to get into American university with British education?

I moved to England at 12 and I am currently 16, I was born in New York and since most of my family is in New York and it has always been a dream of mine to live and work in a big city, I wanted to go back to America for uni and I am not really sure how I am supposed to do that due to the difference in grading systems.

I am moving to A levels in September and I will be picking Economics, psychology and maths since my desired degree will probably end up being something like finance/economics since that is what I enjoy

The extracurriculars I will be doing will be things like first aid training, German grammar and conversation (I can already speak German semi-fluently) and two other things and for sports I will probably do athletics since I have been doing athletics with clubs on and off for as long as I can remember

The schools that I am most interested in are NYU, Colombia, pace, Cornell and Princeton (I know these have a really low acceptance rate and might be unrealistic but that is the goal)

I have also noticed based on the what American universities are looking for they put a bit more emphasis on extracurriculars than British unis and the AP classes requirements kind of confuse me due to the differences. Eg. In the US it's ap calculus etc. whilest in the uk it’s simply A level maths that covers all kinds of different stuff and it’s not really broken down and I don't really know how to compare ap to a levels so I don't know what to study to reach that requirement.

Can anyone please help me understand what I should be working on? Should I take my SATs internationally since some American unis require it? And what extracurriculars should I be doing? I am genuinely confused but I want to get everything figured out before September because I like having lists and schedules and a concrete understanding of what I am doing because that is the only way I don’t lose my mind and I don't know who to ask.
Hi! I don't think you need to take the SAT, but if you score well on practice tests, it couldn't hurt. A levels are more advanced than APs, and you can get credit for A levels when AP is only used for placement. So A level Maths would fulfil an AP calculus requirement. Extracurriculars and essays are quite important - particularly essays. It's helpful to read successful essays to get a sense for the style. For extracurriculars, it's good to have two main interests with accomplishments/projects/etc. It sounds like yours would be athletics and German?
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by penguingirl18
Hi! I don't think you need to take the SAT, but if you score well on practice tests, it couldn't hurt. A levels are more advanced than APs, and you can get credit for A levels when AP is only used for placement. So A level Maths would fulfil an AP calculus requirement. Extracurriculars and essays are quite important - particularly essays. It's helpful to read successful essays to get a sense for the style. For extracurriculars, it's good to have two main interests with accomplishments/projects/etc. It sounds like yours would be athletics and German?

Hey, thank you for the response! When it comes to extra curriculars I'm not really sure yet since the school I will be attending in september offers over 100 different extracurriculas and I wanted to explore a couple to see what I like the most but I know that one will be athletics.

I also wanted to get involved in more charity work since I really enjoyed doing it last year and maybe an extended project/research on something finance related since that can really demonstrate my interest in my desired major because I have heard demonstrating a desire in your major through your extracurriculars can make you look better in applications.
Reply 3
Hey there,

Firstly, it's great that you're thinking about ECs and whatnot this early on. I'll answer your questions point-by-point - note that I am not currently at a US university, but I've done quite a bit of research & received advice on applying to US unis as a UK student:
1) About whether to take the SAT - quite a few schools are still test-optional, double-check to see whether they will still be test-optional for the 2025 cycle which is when you'll be applying (from the looks of it, schools like Princeton will still be test-optional). I would say that it's better to try to take the SAT or ACT than not to. If you don't like your score, then you won't have to submit it to test-optional schools, but having a high SAT score/ACT score would definitely give a boost to your application. Note that you can take either the ACT or SAT (or both if you're really up for it..), they are weighted equally.

2) In regards to extracurriculars - my advice would be to pick the extracurriculars you have the most passion for doing. Do not make the classic mistakes of either trying to do extracurriculars to impress schools, or to think that doing 20 extracurriculars for the sake of it will make you stand out. From what I've read, an applicant who has a "spiky profile", i.e., has a few really quality extracurriculars & something notable that makes them stand out, are what schools like. Top schools would rather pick spiky candidates who've sunk lots of time & are passionate for a few extracurriculars, over well-rounded candidates who sunk equal amounts of time into 20 extracurriculars. TL;DR quality over quantity. I would definitely put athletics down if you've been doing it for a while & you genuinely enjoy it, as well as German or any others that fit what I've described above.

3) In regards to the difference in grading systems, the admissions officers reading your application will know & understand the equivalences/differences in the UK/US school systems. As for what to study - your options sound reasonable for finance/economics, so I wouldn't worry. Perhaps consider whether you would be up for doing a 4th A-level to have an even more competitive application (that being said, you do not have to do more than 4 - please do make sure prioritise your own well-being & know how much workload you can cope with!)

If I've gotten anything wrong in this post, please do correct me - I hope this helped.
Original post by KeanuC
Hey there,

Firstly, it's great that you're thinking about ECs and whatnot this early on. I'll answer your questions point-by-point - note that I am not currently at a US university, but I've done quite a bit of research & received advice on applying to US unis as a UK student:
1) About whether to take the SAT - quite a few schools are still test-optional, double-check to see whether they will still be test-optional for the 2025 cycle which is when you'll be applying (from the looks of it, schools like Princeton will still be test-optional). I would say that it's better to try to take the SAT or ACT than not to. If you don't like your score, then you won't have to submit it to test-optional schools, but having a high SAT score/ACT score would definitely give a boost to your application. Note that you can take either the ACT or SAT (or both if you're really up for it..), they are weighted equally.

2) In regards to extracurriculars - my advice would be to pick the extracurriculars you have the most passion for doing. Do not make the classic mistakes of either trying to do extracurriculars to impress schools, or to think that doing 20 extracurriculars for the sake of it will make you stand out. From what I've read, an applicant who has a "spiky profile", i.e., has a few really quality extracurriculars & something notable that makes them stand out, are what schools like. Top schools would rather pick spiky candidates who've sunk lots of time & are passionate for a few extracurriculars, over well-rounded candidates who sunk equal amounts of time into 20 extracurriculars. TL;DR quality over quantity. I would definitely put athletics down if you've been doing it for a while & you genuinely enjoy it, as well as German or any others that fit what I've described above.

3) In regards to the difference in grading systems, the admissions officers reading your application will know & understand the equivalences/differences in the UK/US school systems. As for what to study - your options sound reasonable for finance/economics, so I wouldn't worry. Perhaps consider whether you would be up for doing a 4th A-level to have an even more competitive application (that being said, you do not have to do more than 4 - please do make sure prioritise your own well-being & know how much workload you can cope with!)

If I've gotten anything wrong in this post, please do correct me - I hope this helped.

Thank you very much! This was incredibly helpful (sorry for making this reply so long)

I will probably start studying for the SAT during this summer so the workload for me will be less when I start my a levels.

When it comes to a fourth option I am kind of scared because my brother is currently doing his a levels and he told me that most people doing more than 3 a levels end up failing because it’s just too much and apparently 70% of students at the college I am going to got bellow a grade E in maths on the mock so it’s is a little terrifying. Do you think simply doing an AS is fine instead of the whole A level? Or is there anything else I can do to substitute that?

I might consider doing a fourth a or as level in philosophy or further maths, I will see how I feel in august after getting my gcses results.

Also do you thing if I get a 6 (B) I should retake maths? Because based on my gcse performance this is what I have predicted

English literature - 7 (A)
English language - 8/9 (A*/A**)
Psychology - 8 (A*)
Sociology - 8/9 (A*/A**)
Combined science - 6/7 or 6/6 (A/B or B/B) maybe higher
Maths - 6 (B) or a 7 (A) if I’m luck
History - 6 (B)
Re - 9 (A**)
German - 6 (B) that kind of made me sad because I know I could have done so much better in German, I was emailed the day before my German exam and it went to my drafts so I didn’t see it and then they just took me out of a random lesson to take it since I am the only one in my school doing a German gcse. I plan on retaking it aswell if I have the chance to get a higher grade since it doesn’t require much studying.

I am a bit disappointed in myself because I feel like there are more Bs than I wanted. So if I do end up getting a 6 in gcse maths do you think I should retake it? Because I know I could have done better but during the first exam I had brain fog because I stupidly got 2 hours of sleep due to insomnia and my goal was a 7/8.

When it comes extracurriculars I will most definetly be doing athletics, German conversation and grammar and first aid. My goal is to get into some national competition and get 3,2 or 1 place.

Sorry for all the rambelling
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by joda222
Thank you very much! This was incredibly helpful (sorry for making this reply so long)

I will probably start studying for the SAT during this summer so the workload for me will be less when I start my a levels.

When it comes to a fourth option I am kind of scared because my brother is currently doing his a levels and he told me that most people doing more than 3 a levels end up failing because it’s just too much and apparently 70% of students at the college I am going to got bellow a grade E in maths on the mock so it’s is a little terrifying. Do you think simply doing an AS is fine instead of the whole A level? Or is there anything else I can do to substitute that?

I might consider doing a fourth a or as level in philosophy or further maths, I will see how I feel in august after getting my gcses results.

Also do you thing if I get a 6 (B) I should retake maths? Because based on my gcse performance this is what I have predicted

English literature - 7 (A)
English language - 8/9 (A*/A**)
Psychology - 8 (A*)
Sociology - 8/9 (A*/A**)
Combined science - 6/7 or 6/6 (A/B or B/B) maybe higher
Maths - 6 (B) or a 7 (A) if I’m luck
History - 6 (B)
Re - 9 (A**)
German - 6 (B) that kind of made me sad because I know I could have done so much better in German, I was emailed the day before my German exam and it went to my drafts so I didn’t see it and then they just took me out of a random lesson to take it since I am the only one in my school doing a German gcse. I plan on retaking it aswell if I have the chance to get a higher grade since it doesn’t require much studying.

I am a bit disappointed in myself because I feel like there are more Bs than I wanted. So if I do end up getting a 6 in gcse maths do you think I should retake it? Because I know I could have done better but during the first exam I had brain fog because I stupidly got 2 hours of sleep due to insomnia and my goal was a 7/8.

When it comes extracurriculars I will most definetly be doing athletics, German conversation and grammar and first aid. My goal is to get into some national competition and get 3,2 or 1 place.

Sorry for all the rambelling

No worries, I'll answer your questions point-by-point:
1) "Do you think simply doing an AS is fine instead of the whole A level?"
No, I wouldn't recommend it. Universities in the UK and US do not really take AS-level grades as seriously as they used to anymore. They mainly look at your predicted A-level grades above anything else, your GCSEs do come into play but are only one of several factors.

2) "Or is there anything else I can do to substitute that?"
You'll definitely need to do a minimum of 3 A-levels - doing 2 isn't recommended.
3) "When it comes to a fourth option I am kind of scared because my brother is currently doing his a levels and he told me that most people doing more than 3 a levels end up failing because it’s just too much"

Regarding the 4th A-level - I understand that 4 A-levels can be a daunting workload. I think it would be best to explain my story of how I came to do 4 A-levels:

When I started Year 12, I picked Computing, Economics, Maths & Psychology, then dropped Economics in November. I then picked up Further Maths in March after I realised I needed to do it in order to be competitive at Oxbridge. A few months of catching up later, when my June mock exams came around, I managed to get an A in Further Core Pure 1, and a U in Further Decision 1 (mainly because I had sunk so much of my revision time into the former module, knowing that it was worth more marks than the other one), alongside an A* in Psychology, probably an A* in Computing (as I will sit the mock this Friday & it's my strongest subject alongside Psychology), and a C in Maths (which I regrettably mismanaged my revision time for - I got a B in the February mock). It also didn't help that I sat the ACT on June 10th, around 1 week before my mocks, so I used up most of my prior revision time on the ACT instead of my A-levels, and only had a week to cram :/

I know I'm not the best example, but in a nutshell: you can make 4 A-levels work. Especially as you'll be sitting the SAT in September, you will have basically got it out of the way by the time you start Year 12, which is awesome - I wish I had done this when I was in Year 11!

Ideally, try to make sure you pick the right 4 from the get-go, and not have to start Further Maths halfway through the year like I did! Furthermore, if you manage your time very well (I strongly recommend using a calendar like Outlook/Google Calendar, or keeping some form of schedule/planner. You'll need it, not just for school but to keep track of all your extracurricular deadlines etc), you can definitely do well.

4) "
and apparently 70% of students at the college I am going to got bellow a grade E in maths on the mock so it’s is a little terrifying."

I can only guess that possibly these two factors might be at play:
* either the quality of teaching is bad,
* or the students didn't manage their time very well with revision.

It's definitely true that if you have a bad Maths teacher, that you will have more of an uphill struggle with actually enjoying & doing well in maths. Regardless if that happens to you or not, I would say that you should try your damn best to start going over the textbook exercises, watching TLMaths videos, and doing everything you can to stay ahead of the curve and not perform poorly on your mocks. If you're struggling in an area of maths, keep practising it until you can do it in your sleep. Do a few AS-level past papers (once you've learnt enough content), even look at some of the old A-level spec papers.

TL;DR The earlier you start a regular routine, "little but often", the better. I wish I'd done this when I started, to be honest - cramming for A-level mock exams is not fun. The amount of content you have to dump into your brain & write on the paper makes me feel like my head's about to fall off - so if you ensure your future self does not have to go through this, you'll do fine.

One other point I'd like to add: Maths is seen as hard by many people, and I can confess that maths was never my strongest suit, either. I got a 7 in it at GCSE - I remember doing not so great on 2 of the GCSE higher Maths papers I sat, and I knew that I probably wasn't going to get the 8 I was predicted.

At the start of Year 12, I also did not perform very well in my A-level Maths unit tests - I kept getting grade Ds and grade Es. It was only in January when I talked with a 3rd-year Oxford CS & Philosophy student that I realised that, if I wanted to try applying for Computer Science at Oxbridge, I'd need to get better at Maths (and pick up Further Maths). Attending some AMSP problem-solving courses & practicing lots of Math eventually led me to enjoy Maths more.

From my experience, at least in my 6th form, doing Further Maths has weirdly made me more confident with maths in general. It's mainly because I was taught the Year 1 AS-level Further Maths content alongside the Year 1 AS-level Maths content, so at some points, we had to speedlearn some of the A-level Maths content ahead of the other students, e.g. integration for volumes of revolution. Note that some schools do this differently e.g. some may teach you the whole of Year 1/2 A-level Maths in Year 12 and then Further Maths in the year after.

I hope that my story leaves you with the impression that you can do well in Maths, even if you think you're not very good at the subject. I always kept telling myself I was not very good with maths, and that created a self-fulfilling prophecy that ironically led me to do worse in maths. When I slowly got rid of this belief, I think that's when I started to enjoy it more.

5) "I might consider doing a fourth a or as level in philosophy or further maths, I will see how I feel in august after getting my gcses results."
Awesome. Again, make sure that you actually want to do an A-level/AS-level in Philosophy/Further Maths, & remember that you have to keep the US schools/UK universities you want to look at attending in mind, too, when choosing. US universities ultimately are not as bothered about what A-levels you specifically pick as much as UK unis are, but it definitely helps e.g. if you want to go to MIT that you're doing STEM-y subjects, as you would fit their student body better. Fit is the most important consideration when we're talking about US universities.

6) "I am a bit disappointed in myself because I feel like there are more Bs than I wanted. So if I do end up getting a 6 in gcse maths do you think I should retake it? Because I know I could have done better but during the first exam I had brain fog because I stupidly got 2 hours of sleep due to insomnia and my goal was a 7/8. "
I cannot definitely say, but re-sitting GCSEs to get a grade or two higher may not be the most efficient use of your time. 6s are still good, and if you're still able to do A-level Maths at your school with a 6, then you should be OK.

7) "When it comes extracurriculars I will most definetly be doing athletics, German conversation and grammar and first aid. My goal is to get into some national competition and get 3,2 or 1 place. "
Awesome! You could look into doing olympiads, UKMT, or essay competitions - I wish I'd known about the existence of olympiads sooner!

One more final point: when you start Year 12, I beg you to apply for as many extracurricular opportunities you can find - time seriously does fly, and before you know it, you'll be in the summer of Year 12 in no time, and you may regret not taking on these opportunities when you had the chance. I'll leave a few for you to look at applying for below which I applied for earlier in the year:

Sutton Trust US programme (I'm on this!)

If you don't get into ^, look at Sutton Trust Summer Schools & their Pathways into XYZ programmes

Social Mobility Foundation Aspiring Professionals Programme (you get a mentor, and you'll be able to go on residentials to universities like Oxford and Durham.)

Cambridge SU Shadowing Scheme

Oxford UNIQ summer school, any other access/outreach programmes local to you

Cambridge STEM SMART

Cambridge HE+

Realising Opportunities

Zero Gravity (they have mentoring if you want to apply to UK unis. if not, they still have lots of useful info/resources)

Nuffield Research Placement (I didn't apply for this, and I kindof regret it, but at the same time I don't, as I've managed to pack my summer full of things anyway!)

AMSP Problem Solving Matters sessions - very useful for improving your mathematical confidence, you'll basically walk through a bunch of TMUA/MAT questions with some mentors

Imperial mA*ths/Further mA*ths Online Programme

Uptree work experience events - they have some very cool events going on, from the likes of J.P. Morgan and PwC to GCHQ and Arm.

CISI - at my school some economics students have done the Fundamentals of Financial Services Level 2 qualification:

https://www.cisi.org/cisiweb2/cisi-website/study-with-us/foundation-exams/fundamentals

Essay competitions. I'm not entirely sure what Economics-specific ones are on offer, but doing a bunch of these will set you apart from the crowd as much as olympiads etc.

Olympiads

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to reply or even PM me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending