The Student Room Group

Are my grades good enough to get into these universities?

Here are the universities I applied for: (in order)
1) Durham University
2) University of Edinburgh
3) University of Liverpool
4) University of Reading
5) Nottingham Trent University

I want to do a degree in meteorology

GCSE Grades:
Maths - 6 (RETAKE) = 9
English Lit - 6 (RETAKE) = 9
English Lang - 7
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 7
Physics - 9
RE - 7
History - 6
Business - 7
French - 6

A-Level Grades: (Predicted)
Biology - A*
Psychology - A*
Geography - A*
Curious as to why you retook Maths and English? You did that alongside your A-levels too?

Fantastic grades, I'm sure you'll get an offer from all 5, or at least 4.
Reply 2
I think that durham standard offers are AAB for metereology, though I may be wrong, so your grades are definitely good enough
Reply 3
https://edurank.org/environmental-science/meteorology/gb/

Why are you ranking the universities in that order?
Durham are rated 57th in Europe,
Reading are rated 1st in Europe.

I get that location can be part of the choice but it generally should be less important than the better course (so long as the grades are achievable )
Original post by Hannah6635
Here are the universities I applied for: (in order)
1) Durham University
2) University of Edinburgh
3) University of Liverpool
4) University of Reading
5) Nottingham Trent University

I want to do a degree in meteorology

GCSE Grades:
Maths - 6 (RETAKE) = 9
English Lit - 6 (RETAKE) = 9
English Lang - 7
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 7
Physics - 9
RE - 7
History - 6
Business - 7
French - 6

A-Level Grades: (Predicted)
Biology - A*
Psychology - A*
Geography - A*

Hey @Hannah6635

Wow, some pretty impressive results there - you should be super proud of yourself!

Unfortunately, Reading requires A-level Maths for the Meteorology and Climate course, so although your grades are fantastic, I'm wondering if you might need to check this with the admissions team to be on the safe side regarding your A-levels being accepted? Have you already applied or are you in the process of applying? So sorry if this causes any worry to you, but want you to be aware! This may be different for the other universities of course, though, but might be worth checking.

However, after looking at the Royal Meteorological Society's website, I can see that you don't necessarily need a Meteorology degree to go into that field; many people have degrees in Physics, Maths or alternative associated courses such as Environmental Sciences. Here at Reading, we offer Environmental Sciences too, which asks for BBB A-Level results, including a science related subject, which you already have - so this may be an alternative to think about, if you are interested.

It may be helpful to chat to some of our current students to find out more about each course. Rizzy will be able to give you an insight into Meteorology and Climate, and Tess will be able to advise you on Environmental Sciences.

Well done again on some amazing results, and sorry that our requirements have somehow been missed during your application process, but I hope this helps and if you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask! Good luck with your applications and results - we are rooting for you!

Skye :smile:
3rd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student
Hi there,

With those grades I'm sure you have a great chance to get into the University of Liverpool. Good luck in achieving them :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest