The Student Room Group

Picking courses

Hello! I made a post before asking this same question but I explained why I only have AAA predicted and our discussion was focused on that so my questions is still unanswered. Are courses at LSE with AAA ( Econ and philosophy or maths stats and business ) good for career opportunities? also does having aaa give me any chances to get in(the ps is actually decent). also what other good colleges have some aaa courses that are "prestigious"?
Original post by MateoC
Hello! I made a post before asking this same question but I explained why I only have AAA predicted and our discussion was focused on that so my questions is still unanswered. Are courses at LSE with AAA ( Econ and philosophy or maths stats and business ) good for career opportunities? also does having aaa give me any chances to get in(the ps is actually decent). also what other good colleges have some aaa courses that are "prestigious"?

LSE is a highly respectable course and if you meet the entry requirements then go ahead and apply. Unifrog is amazing too as you can select your university choices and it will say the average results for that course that the uni accepts. e.g. x university, Entry requirements: ABB, Average offer: AAA.
Original post by MateoC

As I explained previously you have no chance of getting into LSE with your grades. Just because you dont like the answer doesnt make it wrong. Even meeting the grades doesnt mean you will get an offer. The vast majority who apply even with outstanding grades get rejected and they dont have to pick anyone who isnt good enough. This is what happens in the real world not in your fictional world. Around 800 overseas students get places there and they are the best in their countries which your teachers clearly dont think you are. LSE doesnt do clearing so the only way you can get in is to apply with actual grades if your grades are as good as you think they will be.

This also applies to a lesser extent to other London universities like UCL and Imperial. London universities and Oxbridge are heavily in demand and reject several times the number of applicants they accept and most of these exceed the minimum requirement. To give you some idea of what happens Imperial accept 1 in 20 applicants for Computer Science and it isnt much better for Maths or their new course including Economics.

Here is the information about entry figures for LSE

As you will see from the application data provided on our individual programme pages, there is a great deal of competition for places at the School. In 2023, we received around 26,000 applications for 1,800 places. This fierce competition for places means that meeting or exceeding the entry requirements does not guarantee that an offer will be made, and every year we unfortunately have to disappoint many well-qualified applicants.

Here is an example of the standard you need to meet for Maths at Imperial. Note these are MINIMUM grades and meeting or exceeding them doesnt get you an offer.

Minimum entry standard
A*A*A
To include:
A* in Mathematics
A* in Further Mathematics
A in another subject

You are not going to get into prestigious London universities for Maths or Economics and you wont get offers from prestigious universities with AAA predicted elsewhere either.

Itis time for you to face facts and stop trying to get an answer you want. Apply and have ALL rejections. It is the only way you will learn. You think you know better than your teachers and you think somehow top universities will make an exception for you. They wont and the only way you will learn is when you receive rejections.
(edited 4 months ago)
Here is another example from Durham. For the likes of Cambridge, Imperial and Durham you need top grades plus a high grade in a Maths test. My son years ago applied for Maths at Durham and had predictions of A*A*A which he achieved and since has had a PhD in Applied Maths and is working for one of Europes top companies. He waited 4 months on Durham before going elsewhere. That highlights the problem you face. You need to face facts you are not going to get in to top universites for Maths or Econ.

A level offer A*A*A
Reply 4
67% of the student population at LSE are International students - the majority of them Chinese.

Whilst there is nothing 'wrong' with this, it will have an impact on your student experience.
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
As I explained previously you have no chance of getting into LSE with your grades. Just because you dont like the answer doesnt make it wrong. Even meeting the grades doesnt mean you will get an offer. The vast majority who apply even with outstanding grades get rejected and they dont have to pick anyone who isnt good enough. This is what happens in the real world not in your fictional world. Around 800 overseas students get places there and they are the best in their countries which your teachers clearly dont think you are. LSE doesnt do clearing so the only way you can get in is to apply with actual grades if your grades are as good as you think they will be.

This also applies to a lesser extent to other London universities like UCL and Imperial. London universities and Oxbridge are heavily in demand and reject several times the number of applicants they accept and most of these exceed the minimum requirement. To give you some idea of what happens Imperial accept 1 in 20 applicants for Computer Science and it isnt much better for Maths or their new course including Economics.

Here is the information about entry figures for LSE

As you will see from the application data provided on our individual programme pages, there is a great deal of competition for places at the School. In 2023, we received around 26,000 applications for 1,800 places. This fierce competition for places means that meeting or exceeding the entry requirements does not guarantee that an offer will be made, and every year we unfortunately have to disappoint many well-qualified applicants.

Here is an example of the standard you need to meet for Maths at Imperial. Note these are MINIMUM grades and meeting or exceeding them doesnt get you an offer.

Minimum entry standard
A*A*A
To include:
A* in Mathematics
A* in Further Mathematics
A in another subject

You are not going to get into prestigious London universities for Maths or Economics and you wont get offers from prestigious universities with AAA predicted elsewhere either.

Itis time for you to face facts and stop trying to get an answer you want. Apply and have ALL rejections. It is the only way you will learn. You think you know better than your teachers and you think somehow top universities will make an exception for you. They wont and the only way you will learn is when you receive rejections.
yes sir I get that.i thought that meeting the entry requirement was enough and then ps was what mattered. what I failed to mention was the fact that I am applying to unis in other countries like Bocconi.me personally I would go to a uni in uk(a good one) over bocooni for example but if I don't get in any uk uni I will attend bocconi since it is a good university. now at first my plan was to focus on uk of course but since I had the predicted grades problem and u guys are telling me there's no really chances I will focus on something else
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
67% of the student population at LSE are International students - the majority of them Chinese.

Whilst there is nothing 'wrong' with this, it will have an impact on your student experience.

yeah thanks for the info. I guess it might be a bit strange at least in the first weeks/year for new students.
Reply 7
And some.
Chinese students are not great at integrating.
You'll feel like you are at someone else's University,
Reply 8
Original post by McGinger
And some.
Chinese students are not great at integrating.
You'll feel like you are at someone else's University,

I mean yeah but I don't really care abt the experience I only want to study for the career opportunities tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending