The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Can I use an iPad for psychology degree at bath or do I need a windows laptop?

I’m debating whether to buy a new iPad or get a laptop for uni so wondering whether I need a windows for running any specific programs that an iPad isn’t capable of running that the course requires me to use. Thank you.
Statistical software will require windows or mac.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by freyas2005
I’m debating whether to buy a new iPad or get a laptop for uni so wondering whether I need a windows for running any specific programs that an iPad isn’t capable of running that the course requires me to use. Thank you.

Hi,

This is such a good question, here is what I would recommend as a student at the University of Bath:

In general, if you have the means, having a laptop is more beneficial for University work that having an iPad. This is due to many reasons such as being able to type easier on a laptop for long essays, having similar formatting to other students, making sending work/accessing documents easier. You can also download programmes and software easier on a laptop - which is beneficial not only for Psychology but also for other endeavours you might do whilst at University.

As a good compromise a lot of students have laptops that also have a touch screen element - so they are getting the best of both worlds! This might be worth looking into if you enjoy the touch screen/writing and annotating element of the iPad. There are also students I know that are lucky enough to have both an iPad and a laptop, so they can write long essays/type in lectures on their laptop, but also annotate PowerPoints and write notes on their iPad - this is by no means necessary or expected!

At the end of the day, it is totally up to personal preference, I thought I would just share that it is more common for students to have laptops! I personally brought my family's old laptop to University initially, and when I found what I needed from a laptop specifically for my course and general lifestyle - I purchased a better laptop to suit me!

Sophia (2nd Year Student)

Quick Reply

Latest