The Student Room Group

Do I want to go to Uni?

Hello... I am a Scottish 5th year student, going into my last year after the summer and worried about the concept of university!!!

My mum and dad were both brought up in the English schooling system. My mum went to uni and my dad didn’t so going to uni is a bit daunting to me as the first born child and going to school in Scotland etc. - especially because my school hasn't been great at telling us about it.

What mainly concerns me is, finding the right uni... it seems like there are so many and I want to visit as many as I can to find the best for me. They all seem so different, and the idea of going to a "good" university is on my mind...but I worry I wouldn’t be smart enough.
There is pressure, for my last year of high school, to write a good personal statement, do volunteering work, get as many qualifications as I can, all while everyone is competing to appeal as the best candidates... urgh I hate it... it feels like I'm running out of time. I would be grateful for any advice on this fear and any information about scottish unis in general.

I would like to go into a job that incorporates english/ the arts but also has elements of problem solving/ science.

Sorry this is so long... and thank you for any possible advice.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
My understanding is that it can be challenging to get your first choice at a Scottish uni due to pressure on places, so I suppose my initial advice would be to get up to speed on how competitive your subject area is, what the best courses are, etc. Check out Scottish uni threads on here which might give you greater insight.
You're probably going to have to make a decision about what your subject area is as well.
What might be "a job that incorporates english/ the arts but also has elements of problem solving/ science"?
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cheadle
My understanding is that it can be challenging to get your first choice at a Scottish uni due to pressure on places, so I suppose my initial advice would be to get up to speed on how competitive your subject area is, what the best courses are, etc. Check out Scottish uni threads on here which might give you greater insight.
You're probably going to have to make a decision about what your subject area is as well.
What might be "a job that incorporates english/ the arts but also has elements of problem solving/ science"?

This is good advice, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending