The Student Room Group

ucas

I'm in year 13 and my school says I have to submit my application by Christmas but I still have no idea what I want to do in life and I'm really bad at essay writing so I haven't even started my personal statement. Plus I haven't done any work experience so I won't have much to put on it anyway. What do I do??
What are you studying at the moment?

Do you have any ideas about what you might want to study in more detail? Or definite thoughts about what you don’t want to study any more?
Reply 2
Nowhere does it say you have to go to Uni - and nowhere does it say that you can only go to Uni straight from school.

Organise yourself 'a planned gap year' - get a job, any job, earn some cash, do some travel.
Or get an apprenticeship in an area that interests you - you can still go to Uni once you have this if that what you decide you want to do.

Wait until you are certain about what you want to do at Uni, and why. You only get one crack at this, so make sure it really is what you want to do - doing 'a degree' just so that you a can be seen to be doing 'something' is likely to be a disappointing waste of time, and money.

Not Going to Uni - NGTU | Home (notgoingtouni.co.uk)
Search Apprenticeships - Find an apprenticeship - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Gap Year / Travel - Gap Year & Student Travel 2024/2025 | Trailfinders
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
What are you studying at the moment?

Do you have any ideas about what you might want to study in more detail? Or definite thoughts about what you don’t want to study any more?

I'm doing Maths Biology and Chemistry. I don't really have a burning passion for any of them but I don't mind studying maths as I'm good at it but I don't want to do it by itself. I also considered doing neuroscience but I don't have any work experience for it or a good reason as to why I want to do it like for maths. I know I definitely don't want to study Chemistry.
Original post by BlackLives
I'm doing Maths Biology and Chemistry. I don't really have a burning passion for any of them but I don't mind studying maths as I'm good at it but I don't want to do it by itself. I also considered doing neuroscience but I don't have any work experience for it or a good reason as to why I want to do it like for maths. I know I definitely don't want to study Chemistry.

It's never too late to read a book or watch a documentary which could fuel your passion. You do not necessarily have to do work experience, not everyone does or can!

If you are struggling to write a personal statement here is some guidance:

INTRO - Basic overview of why you wish to study the course. It could include personal experiences for why you wish to study the course or something you have read or watched which fuels your desire. E.g for neuroscience it could be observing someone with an illness.

Paragraph 1 - mention your studies, how it links to the course you would like to study.

Paragraph 2 - any wider reading you have done related to the course and how this affirms your decision to study the course.

Paragraph 3 - work experience or a placement you have completed which showcases your enthusiasm and desire to study.

Paragraph 4 (closing paragraph) - have you done any extracurriculars? you could mention this and link the skills and their usefulness to the course you wish to study.

This is just a general guide. If you definitely need to write a personal statement, I don't mind helping with the structure of where you can put things. Let me know what you have done so far as in wider reading or extracurriculars like attending a boxing club, music etc. Also, have you completed an EPQ or additional qualification alongside your studies? Have you done any wider reading (read books, watched documentaries)? Have you had any work experience at all?

Have a look at the year in insdustry yini website and sign up for their placements scheme. Paid work in stem businesses for a year. Cash in your pocket and a chance to try out different types of work to see if you like anything (or hate anything - finding out what you don’t want is just as important and useful as “finding your passion” )
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
Nowhere does it say you have to go to Uni - and nowhere does it say that you can only go to Uni straight from school.

Organise yourself 'a planned gap year' - get a job, any job, earn some cash, do some travel.
Or get an apprenticeship in an area that interests you - you can still go to Uni once you have this if that what you decide you want to do.

Wait until you are certain about what you want to do at Uni, and why. You only get one crack at this, so make sure it really is what you want to do - doing 'a degree' just so that you a can be seen to be doing 'something' is likely to be a disappointing waste of time, and money.

Not Going to Uni - NGTU | Home (notgoingtouni.co.uk)
Search Apprenticeships - Find an apprenticeship - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Gap Year / Travel - Gap Year & Student Travel 2024/2025 | Trailfinders

I'd rather go to uni than do a gap year
Reply 7
I'd rather go to uni than do a gap year

Why.

(Serious question)
Reply 8
Original post by Ambiguous Super
It's never too late to read a book or watch a documentary which could fuel your passion. You do not necessarily have to do work experience, not everyone does or can!

If you are struggling to write a personal statement here is some guidance:

INTRO - Basic overview of why you wish to study the course. It could include personal experiences for why you wish to study the course or something you have read or watched which fuels your desire. E.g for neuroscience it could be observing someone with an illness.

Paragraph 1 - mention your studies, how it links to the course you would like to study.

Paragraph 2 - any wider reading you have done related to the course and how this affirms your decision to study the course.

Paragraph 3 - work experience or a placement you have completed which showcases your enthusiasm and desire to study.

Paragraph 4 (closing paragraph) - have you done any extracurriculars? you could mention this and link the skills and their usefulness to the course you wish to study.

This is just a general guide. If you definitely need to write a personal statement, I don't mind helping with the structure of where you can put things. Let me know what you have done so far as in wider reading or extracurriculars like attending a boxing club, music etc. Also, have you completed an EPQ or additional qualification alongside your studies? Have you done any wider reading (read books, watched documentaries)? Have you had any work experience at all?

Thanks for this guide, I'll try to follow it
Reply 9
Original post by McGinger
Why.

(Serious question)

I don't want to be behind my peers
Reply 10

Once you leave school no-one cares how old you are.
There will be plenty of people starting a degree after a gap year - and many who are much older.

Are you really going to waste £50k on a degree that you aren't even sure you want to do.
The students who drop out of a degree are usually those in exactly this position - they went to Uni for all the wrong reasons.

A year of work experience and a clearer plan of where you want to end up will put you ahead of your peers not behind them.
Thanks for this guide, I'll try to follow it

Any luck? what course have you chose?
Original post by PQ
A year of work experience and a clearer plan of where you want to end up will put you ahead of your peers not behind them.

PRSOM. Very good recommendations above as always.

Always repeating myself that a gap is good investment of time if it gets you where you want to go. How many students go straight to uni because they think attending at 19+ is 'late' and end up hating the course/uni or drop out? More than I'm comfortable with, put it that way.
Original post by Admit-One
PRSOM. Very good recommendations above as always.

Always repeating myself that a gap is good investment of time if it gets you where you want to go. How many students go straight to uni because they think attending at 19+ is 'late' and end up hating the course/uni or drop out? More than I'm comfortable with, put it that way.

And even the ones who love their course and do well often end up struggling after graduating because of a lack of work experience
Reply 15
Original post by Ambiguous Super
Any luck? what course have you chose?

I've chosen Neuroscience as my course. Would you mind reading my personal statement to see if its's good enough? I've always failed in essay writing subjects.
I've chosen Neuroscience as my course. Would you mind reading my personal statement to see if its's good enough? I've always failed in essay writing subjects.

yes sure, PM so I can read it. I have submitted my application for Law so cannot copy it! :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending