The Student Room Group

Why can't I answer exam style questions (Further Maths)?

When I do my own revision for Further Maths, like questions and past papers, I can do the questions, but when I do the school exam - idk why I do badly in mock exams? Any ideas?
Reply 1
Is there anything in particular that you struggle with when sitting the in school exams? A common one is not being used to doing questions at exam pace and so running out of time when doing them 'properly'.
Also, when doing questions at home, are you making sure you're attempting them as you would in an exam. Do not check the solution until you are completely sure you can't do anymore( as in, spend 20-30min thinking about it if needed). It's easy to gaslight/convince yourself you understand something after looking at the solution. When in fact, you wouldn't be able to replicate that to another question.
It sounds like nerves to me. When one gets really nervous and anxious it can stop us thinking too well. Try this:

1) speak to your GP they maybe able to give your something to help.

2) Visualise the exam in detail. Close your eyes and imagine you are doing the exam, in as much detail as possible. Keep repeating the visualisation as much as you can. Even use exam background noise when doing practice papers.

3. Do the best prep you can equals doing your best in the exam. It will help you with nerves.

4. Try sniffing peppermint on a tissue when revising and when doing the exam. It will help your memory and also your nerves.

The better prepared you are before hand the less nerves you will get.

Quick Reply

Latest