The Student Room Group

AS grades

I did an AS in further maths. I didn't find the paper difficult or anything but I always run out of time and have been running out of time in all my exams for years. I recently got given extra time but didn't have it in time for the AS further maths exam. Usually all the questions I attempt in papers I get full marks on and only tend to really lose marks in questions nearer to the end that I ran out of time on. In September, we are having a second set of predicted grades exam but I won't have another for further maths since that was an external exam and I am dropping it for year 13. Do I have to declare the external grade I got in further maths or can I do an internal exam in September and put that instead since I will have extra time for it
Original post by _lolz
I did an AS in further maths. I didn't find the paper difficult or anything but I always run out of time and have been running out of time in all my exams for years. I recently got given extra time but didn't have it in time for the AS further maths exam. Usually all the questions I attempt in papers I get full marks on and only tend to really lose marks in questions nearer to the end that I ran out of time on. In September, we are having a second set of predicted grades exam but I won't have another for further maths since that was an external exam and I am dropping it for year 13. Do I have to declare the external grade I got in further maths or can I do an internal exam in September and put that instead since I will have extra time for it

I think if you did an AS level you do need to declare its grade.

Regarding the internal exam which you will do in september, I think its upto your sixth form how they will put that. It's better to ask your teachers about this.

Regarding the time issue, I never had one with maths. What you can practice is redoing the questions that you have already done to see if you can get some speed becz I dont think honestly there is any particular way for it. Also, the questions in the beginning of the exam paper tend to be quite easy, so avoid spending time on those.

All the best for your sep mock!
Reply 2
Original post by Shubham9548
I think if you did an AS level you do need to declare its grade.

Regarding the internal exam which you will do in september, I think its upto your sixth form how they will put that. It's better to ask your teachers about this.

Regarding the time issue, I never had one with maths. What you can practice is redoing the questions that you have already done to see if you can get some speed becz I dont think honestly there is any particular way for it. Also, the questions in the beginning of the exam paper tend to be quite easy, so avoid spending time on those.

All the best for your sep mock!

Yeah I was just wondering if there may be a way for them to take into consideration that I have extra time now but didn't at the time of the exam. Our normal maths internal prediction papers were structured very differently to a normal AS paper. My school always tends to make papers a lot harder than the real thing so we're prepared. So it wasn't structured with easier questions at the start and harder at the end. Most of the hard questions were closer to the start and all the questions were also madas style. The timing doesn't matter now anyways since I was given extra time after getting an OCD diagnosis as it affects processing time which is helping improve my grades significantly as I didn't really have any problem with understanding. All my other 3 a levels have been predicted to go up a grade to A*s since so could this be mentioned to in the admission process or does it just look like grade inflation maybe
Original post by _lolz
Yeah I was just wondering if there may be a way for them to take into consideration that I have extra time now but didn't at the time of the exam. Our normal maths internal prediction papers were structured very differently to a normal AS paper. My school always tends to make papers a lot harder than the real thing so we're prepared. So it wasn't structured with easier questions at the start and harder at the end. Most of the hard questions were closer to the start and all the questions were also madas style. The timing doesn't matter now anyways since I was given extra time after getting an OCD diagnosis as it affects processing time which is helping improve my grades significantly as I didn't really have any problem with understanding. All my other 3 a levels have been predicted to go up a grade to A*s since so could this be mentioned to in the admission process or does it just look like grade inflation maybe

I don't think you need to mention something like because u were diagnosed with ocd, ur grades are going upto A* or something. Just mention something normal like you got those coz u work hard etc etc.

Regarding the extra time, its quite a tough one for me to answer and is subjective as well.

Just a small story about me is that I came to the UK from a foreign country and just started year 11. My initial predicted grades were quite low, so I couldnt apply to some of the courses in a sixth form. Believe me, NOBODY took that into consideration at all and I highly doubt universities will!! It's just sometimes you know it is unfair like in your case about the extra time which I totally understand how time can play a crucial role. Sometimes, people don't understand or are just too ignorant.
Anyways, I ended up with grades 7-9 with 6 in eng lang and 7 in lit.

Coming back to you, I can't say for certain whether your uni offer will have a positive impact by mentioning about the time issue however there isn't any negative consequence to that. So, it should be worth mentioning. Also, if you want your academic refree to mention anything else specifically for you regarding the UCAS application, just jot down the points and let them know in advance.

I hope your sixth form teachers will definitely support you in this!

Quick Reply

Latest