The Student Room Group

advice for going into y12 doing bio, chem and psycology

is it rlly that hard im the kinda person who revised loads for gcse's so will i struggle loads or??
should i do handwritten notes or type them
laptop or ipad?
Reply 1
I have the exact same questions. Let me know if you figure it out !!
Original post by 18ahussain
is it rlly that hard im the kinda person who revised loads for gcse's so will i struggle loads or??
should i do handwritten notes or type them
laptop or ipad?

It’s hard to say whether you will struggle or not. If you have a natural aptitude for your subjects, you won’t find them especially difficult. If not, getting high grades won’t be easy, but it will be possible to do well despite that with plenty of hard work.

I’d say that it doesn’t matter how you write your notes, all that matters is you get everything you need to know written down and have your notes ordered so you can find them easily when needed.

I did chemistry, physics and maths as my A levels and later on, I also did A level further maths and AS biology in my gap year. The strategies I used for all five of these subjects are more or less outlined here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&page=2#post97549790
Reply 3
Original post by TypicalNerd
It’s hard to say whether you will struggle or not. If you have a natural aptitude for your subjects, you won’t find them especially difficult. If not, getting high grades won’t be easy, but it will be possible to do well despite that with plenty of hard work.

I’d say that it doesn’t matter how you write your notes, all that matters is you get everything you need to know written down and have your notes ordered so you can find them easily when needed.

I did chemistry, physics and maths as my A levels and later on, I also did A level further maths and AS biology in my gap year. The strategies I used for all five of these subjects are more or less outlined here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&page=2#post97549790

Wow thats impressive do you mind telling me more about how you did AS biology and futher maths during your gap year? that sounds really interesting !!
Original post by lin.exe
Wow thats impressive do you mind telling me more about how you did AS biology and futher maths during your gap year? that sounds really interesting !!

It was really more of the same stuff I described in the post you can find with that link, as during years 12 and 13, I taught myself basically everything in all of my subjects at home and usually got through everything pretty quickly. Though the resources I used were different to the ones I listed in that post.

As for something I didn’t mention, once I got to the stage where I was routinely attempting past papers in each of my subjects I began to identify recurring styles of questions that came up each subject and made sure to work on how to approach them. I noticed in biology (I did Edexcel B - I can’t speak for any other exam boards), for example, that there are a lot of questions asking something along the lines of “how can you ensure the results of xyz experiment are valid” and that the marking criteria for these types of questions was usually pretty similar each time.

When marking these questions of a recurring type, I would always annotate my answers with corrections and point out parts of my answer in which I answered the question very well so as to ensure I kept getting the same things right and that I never kept making the same mistakes on similar questions.
(edited 9 months ago)
You will probably need to spend more time per week revising for A-levels than you did for GCSEs.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
I typed my notes for sake of convenience. It can also be helpful to have them typed out so that you can print and do some additional notes to engage with the material even further. You'll definitely need to study a lot more for A-Levels than you did for GCSE, especially due to the fact that Biology and Psychology have a lot of content. I can't speak for Chemistry as I didn't take it and don't know much about it in that regard.
Reply 7
Original post by TypicalNerd
It was really more of the same stuff I described in the post you can find with that link, as during years 12 and 13, I taught myself basically everything in all of my subjects at home and usually got through everything pretty quickly. Though the resources I used were different to the ones I listed in that post.

As for something I didn’t mention, once I got to the stage where I was routinely attempting past papers in each of my subjects I began to identify recurring styles of questions that came up each subject and made sure to work on how to approach them. I noticed in biology (I did Edexcel B - I can’t speak for any other exam boards), for example, that there are a lot of questions asking something along the lines of “how can you ensure the results of xyz experiment are valid” and that the marking criteria for these types of questions was usually pretty similar each time.

When marking these questions of a recurring type, I would always annotate my answers with corrections and point out parts of my answer in which I answered the question very well so as to ensure I kept getting the same things right and that I never kept making the same mistakes on similar questions.

Thank you !!

Quick Reply

Latest