The Student Room Group

Applying to Uni

Hey Everyone,
So Im planning to study language and lingustics and with media and communcations as my other two spaces on UCAS. I just wanted to know is these two subjects closelt linked. My dream is to become a Formula 1 Journalist and the reason im taking these subjects is to boraden my knowledge of media overseas. I have a predicted of all Cs please recommend me some UNIS!!! that have links with Formula 1 and can accept all Cs grades.
Im Planning to finsih year 13 with three Bs thats literally all I want!!
I hope someone replies here!
- mauufey
Reply 1
There are degrees in 'Sports Journalism' -
Sports Journalism BA(Hons) (brighton.ac.uk)
BA (Hons) Sports Journalism | Undergraduate course | Liverpool John Moores University (ljmu.ac.uk)
Sports Journalism - Undergraduate - Courses - Leeds Trinity University
Sports Journalism - BA (Hons) - 2024/25 Entry | Birmingham City University (bcu.ac.uk)
Etc,

This might be easier re. one Personal Statement as otherwise your PS will sound very muddled applying for both degrees in Media and languages. Most Unis have extra-curricular language classes you can do alongside your degree.
Reply 2
This is the courses I picked:
Linguistics and Language with IE (Q1E5)
Birkbeck, University of London (B24)
Media and Communications (P300)
Keele University (K12)
English Language and Linguistics (QQ13)
University of Kent (K24)
Media and Communication (P305)
York St John University (Y75)
In my PS, I talked about communication through language so linguistics then the media links with A Level Politics
Original post by mauufey
This is the courses I picked:
Linguistics and Language with IE (Q1E5)
Birkbeck, University of London (B24)
Media and Communications (P300)
Keele University (K12)
English Language and Linguistics (QQ13)
University of Kent (K24)
Media and Communication (P305)
York St John University (Y75)
In my PS, I talked about communication through language so linguistics then the media links with A Level Politics

Hey @mauufey,

I hope you're keeping well

[start]Firstly, let me just say I absolutely love to hear you aiming for such a cool career as an F1 journalist! Combining a passion for Language, Linguistics, Media, & Communications is a fantastic starting point, and I'm happy to tell you that the University of Kent could be a great fit for you, especially considering your current UCAS choices.[/start]

[start]Here's why Kent might be your pit stop:[/start]

Strong Connections: Our School of Arts and Humanities boasts strong ties to the media industry, having many staff from the media industry working in various departments all over the University. We have also hosted guest speakers from the motorsports world, organised industry visits, have an F1 society, and have had students been offered internship opportunities which put them face-to-face with all the action of the motor world!.

Tailored Courses: Both our flexible BA (Hons) English Language and Linguistics and BA (Hons) Media options allow you to explore the fascinating intersection of language, communication, and media perfect for building the storytelling skills crucial for an F1 journalist.

Grade Requirements: We understand that predicted grades aren't everything. While our standard offer for both courses is BBB, we take a holistic approach to applications and consider your personal statement, contextual factors, and potential, meaninig we do take in applicants with BCC (however it's still best to aim for BBB! 😉). Your passion for F1 and strong subject combination could definitely tip the scales in your favour!

Supportive Environment: We know starting university can be daunting, but Kent offers a vibrant student community and personalised support to help you thrive. You'll find dedicated tutors, career advisors, and fellow F1 enthusiasts ready to cheer you on.

[start]Beyond Kent, I also recommend considering:[/start]

University of Brighton: Renowned for its media programs and industry connections.

Keele University: Known also for its industry-linked media courses, and entrepreneurial support.

[start]Remember, your personal statement is key! Highlight your F1 passion, explain how your chosen subjects can fuel your future career, and showcase your commitment to achieving those Bs (I believe in you!).[/start]

[start]No matter which university you choose, remember:[/start]

Network actively: Build connections with other F1 journalists, bloggers, students, and industry professionals.

Sharpen your writing skills: Consider freelance writing or blogging about motorsports, or perhaps writing for your university if you get the chance!

Stay informed: Devour F1 news, analyse races, and build your knowledge base.

[start]Wishing you all the best in your F1 journalist journey! [/start]

Warm regards,

David :smile:
[start]University of Kent Ambassador[/start]
Reply 4
Original post by University of Kent
Hey @mauufey,

I hope you're keeping well

[start]Firstly, let me just say I absolutely love to hear you aiming for such a cool career as an F1 journalist! Combining a passion for Language, Linguistics, Media, & Communications is a fantastic starting point, and I'm happy to tell you that the University of Kent could be a great fit for you, especially considering your current UCAS choices.[/start]

[start]Here's why Kent might be your pit stop:[/start]

Strong Connections: Our School of Arts and Humanities boasts strong ties to the media industry, having many staff from the media industry working in various departments all over the University. We have also hosted guest speakers from the motorsports world, organised industry visits, have an F1 society, and have had students been offered internship opportunities which put them face-to-face with all the action of the motor world!.

Tailored Courses: Both our flexible BA (Hons) English Language and Linguistics and BA (Hons) Media options allow you to explore the fascinating intersection of language, communication, and media perfect for building the storytelling skills crucial for an F1 journalist.

Grade Requirements: We understand that predicted grades aren't everything. While our standard offer for both courses is BBB, we take a holistic approach to applications and consider your personal statement, contextual factors, and potential, meaninig we do take in applicants with BCC (however it's still best to aim for BBB! 😉). Your passion for F1 and strong subject combination could definitely tip the scales in your favour!

Supportive Environment: We know starting university can be daunting, but Kent offers a vibrant student community and personalised support to help you thrive. You'll find dedicated tutors, career advisors, and fellow F1 enthusiasts ready to cheer you on.

[start]Beyond Kent, I also recommend considering:[/start]

University of Brighton: Renowned for its media programs and industry connections.

Keele University: Known also for its industry-linked media courses, and entrepreneurial support.

[start]Remember, your personal statement is key! Highlight your F1 passion, explain how your chosen subjects can fuel your future career, and showcase your commitment to achieving those Bs (I believe in you!).[/start]

[start]No matter which university you choose, remember:[/start]

Network actively: Build connections with other F1 journalists, bloggers, students, and industry professionals.

Sharpen your writing skills: Consider freelance writing or blogging about motorsports, or perhaps writing for your university if you get the chance!

Stay informed: Devour F1 news, analyse races, and build your knowledge base.

[start]Wishing you all the best in your F1 journalist journey! [/start]

Warm regards,

David :smile:
[start]University of Kent Ambassador[/start]

Thank You So Much I really needed this. Since my School is there Uni of Kent programme I most likely would get in with a contextual offer!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending