The Student Room Group

veterinary work experience

hiya I was wondering if someone could please offer their opinion on the variety of work experience I have done to apply for veterinary medicine. I have completed

a day at an abattoir
a week at a dairy farm
a week lambing
a week at a stables
a week at an equine vets
a week at a small animals vets
and a week at an exotic animals vet

is there any more you would suggest I completed to make my application stand out?
Reply 1
You’ve done more than enough, universities generally only care you’ve met the minimum and it’s less about the variety you have and more from what you’ve learnt.
They want to see you’ve gained insight and understanding into the profession. Generally you can show off what you’ve learnt in the extra forms and hopefully at interview! The variety you have will definitely be beneficial in interviews though because you’ve covered most bases so will have a greater breadth of knowledge than someone who’s just done say 6 weeks smallies.
Good luck any questions please feel free to message me x
Reply 2
Original post by tows
hiya I was wondering if someone could please offer their opinion on the variety of work experience I have done to apply for veterinary medicine. I have completed

a day at an abattoir
a week at a dairy farm
a week lambing
a week at a stables
a week at an equine vets

is there any more you would suggest I completed to make my application stand out?

No you have got more th ere than many will have. Just make sure you have written proof of all this work and its enough.
You have done more than enough! If you have time, of course you can always do more but I don't think it would be necessary.

At this point I would be tempted to spend my time researching issues within the profession etc, in order to become a better interviewee.

Good luck!
Original post by tows

a day at an abattoir
a week at a dairy farm
a week lambing
a week at a stables
a week at an equine vets

Honestly sounds perfect. If you wanted to do more i would recommend a small animal husbandry place such s cats protection or dogs trust

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending