The Student Room Group

Should I revise during the Y10/11 summer holidays?

Hi,

I’m going into year 11 in September and I’m already stressing over GCSEs. In my mocks, I got nine 9s and an 8 so I feel as though the standards set for myself are really high.

I’ve seen some people say that they were glad that they did nothing, but then others say that it’s worth doing some revision during the vast amount of time off. Should I be revising?
Original post by georgia2211
Hi,

I’m going into year 11 in September and I’m already stressing over GCSEs. In my mocks, I got nine 9s and an 8 so I feel as though the standards set for myself are really high.

I’ve seen some people say that they were glad that they did nothing, but then others say that it’s worth doing some revision during the vast amount of time off. Should I be revising?

the more work you put in the better youll do, so even tho youve done super well in your mocks you should still do some work. when you say 'revising' over summer dont think of it like long periods of hardcore work, instead just recapping topics from y10 and doing practice questions. if you find that all okay then maybe look ahead into some topics of y11 using revision guides and just get an idea of what youll be doing next year. i defo think this is helpful especially in subjects you struggle more with
Hi,

You did really great in your mocks, great work!

You should definitely use your summer holidays to relax a bit and enjoy yourself a bit - do the things you wanted to do during the year, but couldn't because of studying and exams.

Although, it will help you in the long run if you do a bit of work (it can be from one hour a day to just 3 hours a week), but don't think of it as something you have to force yourself to do - it might help making a list of topics you want to re-look at or subjects you felt you were weak in during the year. You could also get any work done that you were procrastinating throughout the year (maybe you wanted to look back over some of your notes or look at a few past papers but never got round to doing that); all of these small preparations can help you feel a lot more confident going into year 11.

If you have spare time, you can look at topics you will cover in year 11 (like @arch17 mentioned) - this can give you an insight into what you may learn from september and help you feel more prepared.

I hope that helps and have a good summer holidays!
Hi,

I feel like every year 11 regrets not doing enough work at the beginning of the year and this applies to summer too. I think you should make sure you know all of the content that you've already learnt. Make sure you know it really well and would be able to sit an exam on just that content in September. In year 11 you will learn a lot of new content which is often the harder stuff as well so you won't have time to relearn everything that you did in year 10. I underestimated the amount of content that I would have to know for each subject so I found myself cramming the days and even the night before GCSEs. That being said, please don't burn yourself out as it is important to go into year 11 feeling refreshed and with a positive mindset

Quick Reply

Latest