The Student Room Group

Year 10 summer holiday revision?

I'm going into y11 and idk if I should be revising a lot during the summer for exams. I've done my y10 mocks and my grades are okay, I've gotten 9s in history and eng but my maths, science and Spanish needs work. I do psychology and re too but they're fine too (nearly 8-9s). so should I be doing revision throughout the summer?
I think u have done amazing i got 6/7 in most of my year 10 mocks this year so i'm personally going to revise and get better. But I think you should enjoy your holidays but have spaced revision so you can retain the information. (I am also going into year 11).
I hope this helped!

Original post by m4ry4mn
I'm going into y11 and idk if I should be revising a lot during the summer for exams. I've done my y10 mocks and my grades are okay, I've gotten 9s in history and eng but my maths, science and Spanish needs work. I do psychology and re too but they're fine too (nearly 8-9s). so should I be doing revision throughout the summer?
Reply 2
Original post by a-rosethatpricks
I think u have done amazing i got 6/7 in most of my year 10 mocks this year so i'm personally going to revise and get better. But I think you should enjoy your holidays but have spaced revision so you can retain the information. (I am also going into year 11).
I hope this helped!

thank you!
you should rest too!
Reply 3
Original post by m4ry4mn

i don't know if it's really my place to give any advice since when i was in year 10 covid happened and i spent the majority of the year at home doing work online, and truthfully could have done a lot more, but i just got so lazy during quarantine.

you're doing amazing, those are some really impressive grades. i think it's important to do some amount of revision over the summer to make sure you retain all the information you have already learned, but don't put too much pressure on yourself. remember, the summer holidays are there for you to have a break, so don't spend every waking day with your head in your books, have a break, have some fun, but make sure to have a look at what you've learned so you don't forget anything!

good luck in year 11, you'll do great :smile:
I used my year 10 summer holidays to make revision resources, make sure you give yourself a break aswell :smile:
Original post by m4ry4mn

I feel like every year 11 regrets not doing enough work at the beginning of the year and this applies to summer too. I think you should make sure you know all of the content that you've already learnt. Make sure you know it really well and would be able to sit an exam on just that content in September. In year 11 you will learn a lot of new content which is often the harder stuff as well so you won't have time to relearn everything that you did in year 10. I underestimated the amount of content that I would have to know for each subject so I found myself cramming the days and even the night before GCSEs. That being said, please don't burn yourself out as it is important to go into year 11 feeling refreshed and with a positive mindset
Reply 6
Original post by m4ry4mn

I'm going to yr 11 too. I got 7-9s and I'm making flashcards that I can use to keep the info in my head. I recommend doing some revision but not a lot so that you don't burn out
Original post by m4ry4mn

I'm going into yr11! I'm only revising for the subjects I'm working at below a 7 in so that's physics and maths. I'll also be revising for the tests ik I'll have maybe the first 2 weeks back but for everything else I'm at a 7/8/9 so I'm just making sure my revision material have the necessary detail so I can stay in/go up to the 8/9 area. So that includes making flashcards/finding revision resources and yeah

I'm not doing an awful lot though because I don't want to be burnt out before yr11.
Reply 8
Original post by m4ry4mn

me too going in year 11 at west hatch high shool
Original post by direcherub
I'm going into yr11! I'm only revising for the subjects I'm working at below a 7 in so that's physics and maths. I'll also be revising for the tests ik I'll have maybe the first 2 weeks back but for everything else I'm at a 7/8/9 so I'm just making sure my revision material have the necessary detail so I can stay in/go up to the 8/9 area. So that includes making flashcards/finding revision resources and yeah

I'm not doing an awful lot though because I don't want to be burnt out before yr11.

That sounds great! How much have you done so far for each subject? Any tips?
woah that's a lot more than what i did in my year 10 summer. i'm in year 11 rn (technically) as in i'm getting my results next week. personally i think u should start making revision resources from the beginning of summer and don't be like me and make flashcards literal days before my exams. it was hella stressful. be organised from the start, it will save you a LOT of time

but just relax during the holidays :smile:

Original post by m4ry4mn
Original post by cupcakeglorious6
That sounds great! How much have you done so far for each subject? Any tips?

I don't have many tips but I'd say definitely make a "revision" timetable, it just allows you to see how much you will actually get done and not overdo it with work.
For science, I'm just using pmt to get my revision resources; for maths, I'm using Cognito. History, Latin& RS, I'm making mindmaps and flashcards. Cs just mindmaps.
I think the subject I've done the most in so far is probably computer science but for everything else I guess I've done a third of what I want to have done, so not much, I probably will start doing more just to get everything out of the way
Original post by m4ry4mn

Hey I am currently in year 10 and going to go to year 11 in September too!
I was having the same problem..
I thought of not wasting time and doing revision and completing content as the time will fly by in a wink of a time...
We can get enough relaxation after next may/June but GCSE's will never come again..
We should push ourselves hard to get through this and get results with flying colours as it may decide the whole future...
Goodluck with all your studiesss!!!!:smile:
Reply 13
As someone who’s finished Y11, i did not do much work over y10 summer (mainly due to moving house and city, and a few holidays).
In Y11 I regretted this a little, but mainly due to not doing core subjects such as maths and science (these are forgotten very easily by anyone). So I’d recommend doing an hour of maths a day from now on, this could be either getting to familiarise yourself with y11 maths work or just practising things you learnt in y10.
I’d say if you have notes on English language and lit you will remember the quotes fine if you look back at these before coming back to school (your grades are amazing so I’m sure you’re great).
Maybe look on your school website or something and see if they have curriculum maps for Y11. It’s worth familiarising yourself with these just to see what will be taught (e.g reading an English set text a few weeks before it was taught I found helpful, or watching a history documentary)

Anyways your grades are amazing, so don’t stress too much
Reply 14
My parents said to finish at least 2 subjects of content in summer
Original post by direcherub
I don't have many tips but I'd say definitely make a "revision" timetable, it just allows you to see how much you will actually get done and not overdo it with work.
For science, I'm just using pmt to get my revision resources; for maths, I'm using Cognito. History, Latin& RS, I'm making mindmaps and flashcards. Cs just mindmaps.
I think the subject I've done the most in so far is probably computer science but for everything else I guess I've done a third of what I want to have done, so not much, I probably will start doing more just to get everything out of the way

Thanks for the advice! Are you making flashcards for science? For computer science have you started to practise programming or are you focusing on theory?
Original post by runcode
My parents said to finish at least 2 subjects of content in summer

As in fully finish like Paper 1 and Paper 2, or only the content taught in Year 10?
Original post by cupcakeglorious6
Thanks for the advice! Are you making flashcards for science? For computer science have you started to practise programming or are you focusing on theory?

For science, I’m using the flash cards from pmt for bio and then i’m adding some info bc they don’t have everything. For chemistry, I find that I like seeing all the lessons together so i’m doing a mindmap but i’m making sure the definitions i use are from mark schemes so my old tests and things. Same for physics but i’ll actually be learning the content this time because it’s the science that I’m weaker in. And then i’ll do a practice paper after.

For computer science, I’m making a power point for the programming section so just 2.2, so when it’s time for gcses i can just go back to that instead of being really confused. As for the theory just mindmaps.

I don’t think i’ll be able to finish everything i want to do this summer to be honest so I’m just doing the most time consuming topics now so that in september i can do the easy things and hopefully be done w yr10 resource making (ex. Rs fill in mindmaps on st marks gospel, it takes no more than 30mins) whereas physics and maths need a lot more work for me so I’m prioritising them :smile:

I am going out a lot more these past two weeks so that’s why i can’t do much but i’d rather enjoy myself knowing i’ve done what i can and tackled the most challenging bits. I’d just say to do whatever you think would make life easier for you in year 11, but don’t worry if you don’t finish everything bc september exists :smile:
Simply just don't regret anything.

Quick Reply

Latest