The Student Room Group

Transition between engineering physics and software engineer

I’m thinking of doing engineering physics bachelor degree at uni. Would I be able to go for software engineer path with that degree? And how would I do that ? Also how long would it possibly take for the whole transition ?
Reply 1
Original post by Fatamata
I’m thinking of doing engineering physics bachelor degree at uni. Would I be able to go for software engineer path with that degree? And how would I do that ? Also how long would it possibly take for the whole transition ?

Of course. We love physicists. I have hired several in my time. It might be worth enquiring about different degree offerings as some provide a unit of coding which is very helpful.
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply.
I’m interested in engineering physics, but I'm also considering going into software engineering afterwards with that degree.Do you know of any downsides to studying engineering physics if I want to go into software engineering? Also, are there any other degree programs you would recommend that could be more helpful for a career in software engineering?"

Original post by hotpud
Of course. We love physicists. I have hired several in my time. It might be worth enquiring about different degree offerings as some provide a unit of coding which is very helpful.
Reply 3
Original post by Fatamata
Thank you for your reply.
I’m interested in engineering physics, but I'm also considering going into software engineering afterwards with that degree. Do you know of any downsides to studying engineering physics if I want to go into software engineering? Also, are there any other degree programs you would recommend that could be more helpful for a career in software engineering?"

Well, the main downside is that engineering physics does not necessarily teach you any of the skills required to be a software engineer. That said, you can learn these skills yourself. To get a job in software you must be able to code. That is pretty non-negotiable these days. Relative degrees include Computer Science and other computing / software engineering related courses.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest