The Student Room Group

Engineering or Physics (or mathematics)

I've applied to General Engineering at Sheffield and Physics at Manchester. Currently I'm trying to decide between the two choices I have.

Looking at Manchester, I see that physics has a more varied program due to its many optional modules, and it is very well-regarded internationally.

Sheffield is also good for engineering and a general engineering degree means I specify my subject in 3rd year which would give me more time to think about what I would want to do with my life, however, I don't think it is as internationally.

I think Sheffield offers a more direct path to a job that will likely pay better, but I have also been reading that physics degrees are very sought-after and often lead to software engineering-type jobs.

I personally don't have a clue what I want my life to lead to at the minute so I am equally open to both choices, which is making it incredibly hard to decide. I would prefer to work a job in a different country (UK) when I'm older, hence why I mention the global view of the universities.

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated
Reply 1
If you mean you are applying this autumn for 2024 entry, have you been to any University Open Days and listened to the subject presentations for all of these subjects at a range of different Unis?
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
If you mean you are applying this autumn for 2024 entry, have you been to any University Open Days and listened to the subject presentations for all of these subjects at a range of different Unis?

No I've been offered these two places and already have the results, I also applied to Leeds for mathematics and Newcastle for mechanical engineering and also Computer and electrical engineering

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending