The Student Room Group

4 A levels and WBQ

I’m a year 11 student currently studying in Wales. I’m thinking of doing 4 A levels + the Welsh Baccalaureate Skills Challenge (which is kind of like an EPQ, but worth a full a level) in sixth form, and i’m wondering if it’s worth it. I want to take:

-Biology
-Chemisty
-Maths
and either
-History or
-Psychology

In my school, you have to do welsh bacc and it’s accepted by many jobs as a full A level in many universities (except for oxbridge!), and is used in many conditional offers if you do not achieve desired grades in a certain subject, WBQ can be used to bolster your grades. Universities, even Oxbridge, value it as it involves using many skills. I’m planning on studying medicine, and I am considering applying to Cambridge.

I’m currently taking these GCSEs:

- English Language
- English Literature
- French
- Biology (Triple)
- Chemistry (Triple)
- Physics (Triple)
- Mathematics
- Numeracy
- L2 Further Mathematics
- Business Studies
- History
- Religious Studies
- Welsh (second language)
- Welsh Baccalaureate

I have already achieved or am predicted A*s in all my subjects, and i have done volunteering for over 3 years, and have achieved birth my DoFE bronze and silver, and am planning on doing my gold.

I wanted to know if I should do History or Psychology for my 4th A level in order to apply for medicine, both are equally interesting to me and I have to do a 4th AS level throughout year 12 at my school. I was wondering if doing continuing this until year 13 and getting a 4th A level will make me more competitive to apply for medicine, and for oxbridge specifically.

Thank you!
Reply 1
If I were you, I would choose psychology over history as it’s more directly related to medicine, especially biology. In terms of the 4 vs 3 A levels, I don't believe that a stranger could advise you and instead, you should see how you’re coping in Y12 studying 4 AS levels + WBQ. If you feel that Y13 would be too much for you, then drop history/psychology and you won’t really be disadvantaged. However, if you’re sure you can cope and are enjoying all of your subjects then it certainly wouldn’t do you any harm getting 4 A2 Levels + WBQ! If you look at a few Cambridge FOIs, their average successful applicant has 4 full A levels. I hope this helps you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by tinfoilhat07
I’m a year 11 student currently studying in Wales. I’m thinking of doing 4 A levels + the Welsh Baccalaureate Skills Challenge (which is kind of like an EPQ, but worth a full a level) in sixth form, and i’m wondering if it’s worth it. I want to take:

-Biology
-Chemisty
-Maths
and either
-History or
-Psychology

In my school, you have to do welsh bacc and it’s accepted by many jobs as a full A level in many universities (except for oxbridge!), and is used in many conditional offers if you do not achieve desired grades in a certain subject, WBQ can be used to bolster your grades. Universities, even Oxbridge, value it as it involves using many skills. I’m planning on studying medicine, and I am considering applying to Cambridge.

I’m currently taking these GCSEs:

- English Language
- English Literature
- French
- Biology (Triple)
- Chemistry (Triple)
- Physics (Triple)
- Mathematics
- Numeracy
- L2 Further Mathematics
- Business Studies
- History
- Religious Studies
- Welsh (second language)
- Welsh Baccalaureate

I have already achieved or am predicted A*s in all my subjects, and i have done volunteering for over 3 years, and have achieved birth my DoFE bronze and silver, and am planning on doing my gold.

I wanted to know if I should do History or Psychology for my 4th A level in order to apply for medicine, both are equally interesting to me and I have to do a 4th AS level throughout year 12 at my school. I was wondering if doing continuing this until year 13 and getting a 4th A level will make me more competitive to apply for medicine, and for oxbridge specifically.

Thank you!

I feel like it would be better for you to take psychology as it has more in common with medicine than history as it is a social science and is essay-based. As for you considering to do 4 full A levels, I think you should see how you manage the workload and stress in year 12 and then think about whether or not you should take it in year 13. If you feel like it's gonna be too much for you, drop psychology but if the workload is okay for you, keep doing what your doing. good luck making ur decision! ask ur inner demons what you should do. remember, the abyss always stares back...

Quick Reply

Latest