The Student Room Group

Is Welsh 2nd language a good subject?

Im going to do Maths, Physics, Further Maths, and either Chemistry or Welsh.

If i did physics/maths in Uni which would be better?
What about oxbridge unis which would they prefer?
Original post by JDaviesF
Im going to do Maths, Physics, Further Maths, and either Chemistry or Welsh.

If i did physics/maths in Uni which would be better?
What about oxbridge unis which would they prefer?

For specifically physics/maths courses then it probably doesn't matter too much chemistry would open up more science courses by obviously allowing you to study chemistry, but isn't required for maths or physics.

Oxbridge in theory wouldn't mind Welsh second language at A-level is as good and rigorous as any other modern language but note that the Cambridge science course is Natural Sciences (usually either Physical or Biological) rather than separate sciences. Chemistry could be more helpful if you ended up doing natsci at Cambridge.

Do you think you'd drop Welsh or chemistry at AS?

Edit: also is your school/college expecting you to do the Welsh Bacc?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Saracen's Fez
For specifically physics/maths courses then it probably doesn't matter too much chemistry would open up more science courses by obviously allowing you to study chemistry, but isn't required for maths or physics.

Oxbridge in theory wouldn't mind Welsh second language at A-level is as good and rigorous as any other modern language but note that the Cambridge science course is Natural Sciences (usually either Physical or Biological) rather than separate sciences. Chemistry could be more helpful if you ended up doing natsci at Cambridge.

Do you think you'd drop Welsh or chemistry at AS?

Edit: also is your school/college expecting you to do the Welsh Bacc?

Yeah they have us do welsh bacc and I don’t think I’d drop anything after AS
Original post by JDaviesF
Yeah they have us do welsh bacc and I don’t think I’d drop anything after AS

So if your school is going to make you do the Bacc, then I'd think very carefully about whether you want to do four A-levels in addition to that, or whether it would be better to focus on doing three very well rather than four quite well. This advice is probably more pertinent still if you're considering applying to Oxbridge: the standard Cambridge offer is A*A*A for science subjects, and A*A*A* offers are not unheard with. While the Bacc isn't recognised as equivalent to an A-level by all universities, and definitely isn't by Oxbridge, it's still quite a lot of work to take on.

If you feel that maybe you want to pick Welsh up as a fourth subject to give you a bit of variety, if your Welsh is already good and you want to try and upgrade it to fluency as a useful skill to have, then there's a case for doing it in Y12 and then deciding depending on your AS results whether you want to continue with it, but every A-level is rigorous and requires a lot of work, and I wouldn't want too many academic distractions from the A-levels that are going to be required for the uni courses you want to apply for, which sound like maths, physics and quite possibly further maths.

Pob lwc yn gwneud dy benderfyniad! :smile:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest