The Student Room Group

law after biomedical science

so i’m applying to uni this year and i’m going to be applying to biomedical science. however, i’ve been reading into law and it seems really interesting and something i want to pursue a career in. but, i’ve been very indecisive about my career choice so i feel like if i try to change it again, i know everyone’s going to tell me i’m indecisive and that i need to stick to just one. i did think of doing medicine but then it seemed too much for me so i considered biomed as it’s lab work which is something i really want to do but then i’m also really interested in law. i’ve considered many other career paths before as well. i hate that i’m indecisive and i know i shouldn’t be, especially since degrees aren’t cheap which is why i’m trying to make the best decision i can. so i was thinking of doing post-grad law after doing a biomedical science degree. would that be a good idea or not?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by japansmoonx
so i’m applying to uni this year and i’m going to be applying to biomedical science. however, i’ve been reading into law and it seems really interesting and something i want to pursue a career in. but, i’ve been very indecisive about my career choice so i feel like if i try to change it again, i know everyone’s going to tell me i’m indecisive and that i need to stick to just one. i did think of doing medicine but then it seemed too much for me so i considered biomed as it’s lab work which is something i really want to do but then i’m also really interested in law. i’ve considered many other career paths before as well. i hate that i’m indecisive and i know i shouldn’t be, especially since degrees aren’t cheap which is why i’m trying to make the best decision i can. so i was thinking of doing post-grad law after doing a biomedical science degree. would that be a good idea or not?

Hi @japansmoonx!

Law conversion courses (GDL) are a well-trodden path for those who decide they want to pursue a career in Law with a different academic background. They're usually 1 year long and after completion you can pursue further training to become a barrister or solicitor. Take a look at the LawCAB website for more information on conversion courses and pursuing a Law career :smile:

I hope this helps!!

Chloe :smile:
Reply 2
Lots of opportunities to do Law after a degree in any other subject - as above GDL courses, or other MA degrees - example from Bristol : https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/taught/ma-law/ and from Manchester - https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/masters/courses/list/09660/ma-security-and-international-law/
Original post by japansmoonx

I did my undergrad degree in Biomed, then a masters in Forensic Medicine and I am now about to finish my law conversion! Any q's let me know!
Reply 4
Hello! I am a current biomed student looking to go into medical law. Do you think that trying to get into a graduate scheme for STEM graduates looking to convert to law is better than getting another degree? I have heard that some employers at law firms are willing to fund some of us, although it is probably going to be extremely competitive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending