The Student Room Group

Second a-level retake??

So I have sat my a level retakes this summer and became violently ill during exams and therefore my exams went absolutely terribly. I would be lucky to get 3 Ds. I have spoken to the university that has made me an offer and they are aware of my situation and have guaranteed me an interview for September 2024 entry but I am 90% that the college I retook my a levels at will not allow me to retake again. I retook because I had personal reasons the first time too and did not get the grades I needed. Please if anyone could give me some advice I’m really stuck for options atp. My college are also aware of everything and have put me in for special consideration with the exam board but I doubt that will make a huge difference to my grades.
I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you've faced during your A-level retakes. It's understandable that you're feeling stuck and unsure about your options. Here are a few suggestions to consider:

1. Appeal and Special Consideration: Since your college has already put you in for special consideration with the exam board, it's possible that there might be some leniency given to your situation. While the impact of special consideration can vary, it's still worth waiting for the official results and checking if there's any improvement.

2. Gap Year: If you're unable to retake your A-levels and your current results don't meet your desired university entry requirements, you might consider taking a gap year. During this time, you could focus on improving your skills, gaining work experience, or even pursuing personal projects. This could make your application more competitive for the September 2024 entry.

3. Alternative Pathways: Research other pathways into the university or program you're interested in. Some universities offer foundation courses or access programs that can provide an alternative route to entry. These programs may have lower entry requirements and can help you build the skills and knowledge needed for your chosen course.

4. Explore Different Universities: While your current offer is from one university, it might be worth considering other universities that offer similar programs. You might find universities with slightly lower entry requirements or more flexible admissions policies.

5. Contact Admissions:Keep in touch with the admissions office at the university that has guaranteed you an interview for September 2024 entry. Explain your situation, the challenges you've faced, and your commitment to improving your situation. They may provide additional guidance or support.

6. Private Candidates: If your current college doesn't allow you to retake, you could consider studying as a private candidate. This would involve preparing for the exams on your own and finding a suitable examination center to take the tests. Make sure to research the requirements and deadlines for private candidates in your country.
Original post by flyingbunny.80
So I have sat my a level retakes this summer and became violently ill during exams and therefore my exams went absolutely terribly. I would be lucky to get 3 Ds. I have spoken to the university that has made me an offer and they are aware of my situation and have guaranteed me an interview for September 2024 entry but I am 90% that the college I retook my a levels at will not allow me to retake again. I retook because I had personal reasons the first time too and did not get the grades I needed. Please if anyone could give me some advice I’m really stuck for options atp. My college are also aware of everything and have put me in for special consideration with the exam board but I doubt that will make a huge difference to my grades.

Hi I hope you are well!
Did u retake your year, then failed again? And failed summer resit? Am I right?

I think you should have retake again. But don’t judge yourself. You are not alone with this believe me. Which university are u in? If we know maybe we’ll have useful advice.
Original post by andrew tate01
I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you've faced during your A-level retakes. It's understandable that you're feeling stuck and

unsure about your options. Here are a few suggestions to consider:

1. Appeal and Special Consideration: Since your college has already put you in for special consideration with the exam board, it's possible that there might be some leniency given to your situation. While the impact of special consideration can vary, it's still worth waiting for the official results and checking if there's any improvement.

2. Gap Year: If you're unable to retake your A-levels and your current results don't meet your desired university entry requirements, you might consider taking a gap year. During this time, you could focus on improving your skills, gaining work experience, or even pursuing personal projects. This could make your application more competitive for the September 2024 entry.

3. Alternative Pathways: Research other pathways into the university or program you're interested in. Some universities offer foundation courses or access programs that can provide an alternative route to entry. These programs may have lower entry requirements and can help you build the skills and knowledge needed for your chosen course.

4. Explore Different Universities: While your current offer is from one university, it might be worth considering other universities that offer similar programs. You might find universities with slightly lower entry requirements or more flexible admissions policies.

5. Contact Admissions:Keep in touch with the admissions office at the university that has guaranteed you an interview for September 2024 entry. Explain your situation, the challenges you've faced, and your commitment to improving your situation. They may provide additional guidance or support.

6. Private Candidates: If your current college doesn't allow you to retake, you could consider studying as a private candidate. This would involve preparing for the exams on your own and finding a suitable examination center to take the tests. Make sure to research the requirements and deadlines for private candidates in your country.

thank you so much for all of the information!
I think the best option for me right now is wait for results and discuss with my college, but if they don’t allow me then the only option I have is to retake again privately this time. I have looked into access courses but the problem with that the degree I want to apply for does not allow people who have not been able to get a level grades who then do the access course to apply, it’s for people who have been out of education for a while.
Original post by namehasbeen
Hi I hope you are well!
Did u retake your year, then failed again? And failed summer resit? Am I right?

I think you should have retake again. But don’t judge yourself. You are not alone with this believe me. Which university are u in? If we know maybe we’ll have useful advice.

Hi, thank you for your reply. I’m not in university, I’m an A level student. I retook my a level exams this year but became very ill so messed up my exams and now I will probably need to retake again for a second time and I’m not sure if my college will allow me to do that as they were very reluctant with the first resit too :frown:
Original post by flyingbunny.80
Hi, thank you for your reply. I’m not in university, I’m an A level student. I retook my a level exams this year but became very ill so messed up my exams and now I will probably need to retake again for a second time and I’m not sure if my college will allow me to do that as they were very reluctant with the first resit too :frown:

If u pay your college they will allow it possibly. It’s not end of the world period. Many people experience this situation. And your college know that. Just contact with them and explain your circumstances. I hope everything will be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest