The Student Room Group

A level literature edexcel

how do i go about revising for english lit?purple hibiscus, othello ,deaths of a salesman , hamlet , wuthering heights ( this especially)Mrs. dalloway
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by cherriestn
how do i go about revising for english lit?purple hibiscusothellodeaths of a salesmanhamlet wuthering heights ( this especially)Mrs. dalloway

Hi! I've just finished y13. Whilst I didn't do those texts (have read 4 of them) I did do edexcel English lit. Revision often depends on what methods suit you best. There's lots of revision advice on YT from former students - Jack Edwards is really good! And there are people who do videos specifically looking at books and their ideas, quotes etc. Making flaschards of key quotes whether from the text or critical anthology helps. We used to play games where we would say the name of a critic and we'd have to try be the first to think of a quote. Look at practice Qs, read exemplar or other students' essays, make lots of essay plans for different questions. Maybe make different recourses such as character profiles - e.g. you could do a profile on Heathcliff, with key quotes, his relationships with other characters, useful terminology and examples of how Bronte creates his character. Timelines can help if you struggle with remembering the sequence of events. Mrs Dalloway is a tricky book (I personally thought so) and if you feel the same, def try to give more attention to that text. Maybe look for example essays and try find key sections of the text that you do understand and can analyse which can be applied to all sorts of questions. I'd say that will all texts really - especially novels though - find the sections that stand out - sections with SO much to talk about which has quotes and ideas and events that link to multiple themes.
Reply 2
Original post by misseuropa
Hi! I've just finished y13. Whilst I didn't do those texts (have read 4 of them) I did do edexcel English lit. Revision often depends on what methods suit you best. There's lots of revision advice on YT from former students - Jack Edwards is really good! And there are people who do videos specifically looking at books and their ideas, quotes etc. Making flaschards of key quotes whether from the text or critical anthology helps. We used to play games where we would say the name of a critic and we'd have to try be the first to think of a quote. Look at practice Qs, read exemplar or other students' essays, make lots of essay plans for different questions. Maybe make different recourses such as character profiles - e.g. you could do a profile on Heathcliff, with key quotes, his relationships with other characters, useful terminology and examples of how Bronte creates his character. Timelines can help if you struggle with remembering the sequence of events. Mrs Dalloway is a tricky book (I personally thought so) and if you feel the same, def try to give more attention to that text. Maybe look for example essays and try find key sections of the text that you do understand and can analyse which can be applied to all sorts of questions. I'd say that will all texts really - especially novels though - find the sections that stand out - sections with SO much to talk about which has quotes and ideas and events that link to multiple themes.

Thank you this has actually helped me look at it in another perspective.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending