The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Unison Strike at the University of Birmingham

As some of you may be aware, some administrative staff at the University of Birmingham are taking industrial action tomorrow. The day A Level students in England and Wales receive their results.

Article here: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/birmingham-level-students-issued-three-27518344

The university say that there are "robust procedures in place to ensure a smooth clearing experience".

The reality is that we don't yet know what this will look like for applicants, it may be that clearing and results operates as usual.

What we can do is:
- Set up this thread, to support you if you're having difficulty with Birmingham (or any other uni) this year.

- Ask you to share your experiences below, if you've been dealing with Birmingham on results day. Tell us how long you were waiting on the phone (if you were waiting) etc. This should hopefully give some clarity and perhaps some reassurance to others in the same position as you.

Quoting in those who have posed in the Birmingham 2023 applicants thread and offer holder thread.

Spoiler

As noted by PQ elsewhere, the majority of staff on the clearing phonelines will be temps, so I don't think this will affect call waiting times or the process for receiving verbal offers, (assuming you have a fairly standard set of qualifications, e.g AL's, IB or BTECs).

Where it might potentially cause a bit of a delay is in confirming acceptances once you refer your application to Birmingham via UCAS. This is because once the app is sent to Birmingham, it would usually be a member of the admissions team who processes it.

If the strike is limited to one day, then this shouldn't cause a huge backlog, but don't panic if you send your app to them and nothing happens immediately. So long as you send the app to them within the timescale they said the offer was valid for, and they verify the info that you told them during the clearing call, they should still be confirming your place in due course.
(edited 8 months ago)
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by Admit-One
As noted by PQ elsewhere, the majority of staff on the clearing phonelines will be temps, so I don't think this will affect call waiting times or the process for receiving verbal offers, (assuming you have a fairly standard set of qualifications, e.g AL's, IB or BTECs).

Where it might potentially cause a bit of a delay is in confirming acceptances once you refer your application to Birmingham via UCAS. This is because once the app is sent to Birmingham, it would usually be a member of the admissions team who processes it.

If the strike is limited to one day, then this shouldn't cause a huge backlog, but don't panic if you send your app to them and nothing happens immediately. So long as you send the app to them within the timescale they said the offer was valid for, and they verify the info that you told them during the clearing call, they should still be confirming your place in due course.

Honestly doesn’t bode well for the future!! Almost wonder why I want to give tens of thousands away!
Original post by Anonymous
Honestly doesn’t bode well for the future!! Almost wonder why I want to give tens of thousands away!

Well, it’s strike action, it’s supposed to be disruptive.

Hopefully you never have to strike :wink:
Original post by Admit-One
Well, it’s strike action, it’s supposed to be disruptive.

Hopefully you never have to strike :wink:

Hopefully I don’t but if I did I’d not kick the innocent in the teeth that’s for sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending