The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham commute

I have received an offer from both Birmingham and Warwick to study engineering. I initially wanted to go to Birmingham but after further thought I am starting to think that the commute will become overwhelming especially with exam seasons and also the fact that I want to take part in sports societies. I live in Coventry and the commute is about 1hr20 on train, but if there are train strikes it could be much long than that on bus. Am I better of just going to Warwick its literally a 15min bus ride from my house.
What are your thoughts
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have received an offer from both Birmingham and Warwick to study engineering. I initially wanted to go to Birmingham but after further thought I am starting to think that the commute will become overwhelming especially with exam seasons and also the fact that I want to take part in sports societies. I live in Coventry and the commute is about 1hr20 on train, but if there are train strikes it could be much long than that on bus. Am I better of just going to Warwick its literally a 15min bus ride from my house.
What are your thoughts
Hi!

It is very smart to consider how the commute would impact you, especially during exam season.

One reason I am thankful for living close to campus is that I can just go to the library for a couple of hours during the week without having to make it a whole day to make it worth the journey. I would expect a course like engineering to have a lot of contact hours anyway, so you might find you're on campus most days.

But I also think your decision shouldn't solely be based on the commute. You really have to compare both universities and the courses. Warwick and Birmingham are both incredible universities, so congratulations on getting offers for both.

If you're interested in sports societies, do some research on what the universities offer for your chosen sport. You might find that the only difference is the commute, and in that case, it might be wise to go with Warwick, but definitely do some digging first.

Good luck!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending