The Student Room Group

What I can do with my course

I am currently on my first year studying level 3 national foundation diploma next year I will move upto level 3 extended diploma in Aeronautical engineering, what are my options after I finish my course on what I can do to enhance my studies and work towards a degree. I am looking to study an engineering related course in a selected university but I am not sure if I will meet the criteria, what am I open too?
Original post by samin1z
I am currently on my first year studying level 3 national foundation diploma next year I will move upto level 3 extended diploma in Aeronautical engineering, what are my options after I finish my course on what I can do to enhance my studies and work towards a degree. I am looking to study an engineering related course in a selected university but I am not sure if I will meet the criteria, what am I open too?

A Level 3 Extended Diploma in Engineering(*) will meet the entry requirements of many engineering courses at university - although many will, unfortunately, want A level Maths alongside the Extended Diploma. :frown: Are there any universities in which you're particularly interested?

Your grade is always going to be what will enhance you're appeal to universities - you can't offset weak grades with a fantastic personal statement. Do you have any idea what grade you're targeting for the Extended Diploma? (I realise that it's very early days, given that you've only just started the Foundation Diploma!)

Some examples of engineering courses which don't required an A level in maths in addition to the Extended Diploma are:
Aeronautical Engineering BEng/MEng (Hons) at De Montfort University. They want an Engineering or Physics BTEC Extended Diploma at DMM for the BEng or DDM for MEng. Are DMM or DDM plausible, do you think? (details here)
Mechanical Engineering BEng at Brunel University London. They want BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma (RQF) DDD in Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Electrical/Electronic Engineering, with Distinctions in Engineering Principles and Calculus to Solve Engineering Problems. (details here)
Engineering BEng Hons at Lancaster University. They want BTEC (2016 specifications): Distinction, Distinction, Merit in an Engineering related subject to include Distinctions in the following units Unit 1 Engineering Principles, Unit 7 Calculus to Solve Engineering Problems. Unit 8 Further Engineering Mathematics is highly recommended. (details here)

(*) I've said "Engineering" here rather than "Aeronautical Engineering" because the BTEC web site says here that the "Pearson BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering" stopped taking new registrations in July 2020. The "Pearson BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Aerospace and Aviation Engineering" (here) is still active, and is perhaps the official name of your course. Rather than getting tied up in the details (which I've very prone to do - as evidenced by this footnote), I've just decided to consider your BTEC as being in engineering generally. Or perhaps your course isn't a BTEC at all?

Quick Reply

Latest