The Student Room Group

So much disdain for King's College London on student forums?

I'm looking pretty forward to studying at KCL. I know that a lot of its course are very high-ranking such as Medicine and Politics, and that it ranks highly globally, and yet on student forums it's constantly bashed. What's up with that? I recognise that there was the with auto-rejections a year or two ago, and that the administration can be notoriously not-so-great, but it seems that there's far deeper hate for it beyond this.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
idk. I noticed that people international people always regard King's as this extremely prestigious university like for some reason in Singapore everyone thinks it's a really hard university to get into but its a mid af uni. Like here are the university rankings in the UK, it's ranked 24th best overall just in the UK. https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings.
The other reason is I think the university experience isn't as 'good' as compared to other universities, I should confess though I don't go to King's so this are just whispers going around. I went to school in the UK and my mates that went to King's say the uni experience is ok just not the best.
Original post by HARR1
idk. I noticed that people international people always regard King's as this extremely prestigious university like for some reason in Singapore everyone thinks it's a really hard university to get into but its a mid af uni. Like here are the university rankings in the UK, it's ranked 24th best overall just in the UK. https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings.
The other reason is I think the university experience isn't as 'good' as compared to other universities, I should confess though I don't go to King's so this are just whispers going around. I went to school in the UK and my mates that went to King's say the uni experience is ok just not the best.

However it does extremely well when it comes to individual courses, has some of the best-ranking courses in areas such as Law, Medicine, social sciences and medical sciences, and has some of the best graduate prospects and teaching quality, and has something like the 7th highest entry tariff requirements, so it can't be said to be 'mid'. The national rankings for some reason put King's way lower then it realistically should be, I mean, it's shockingly lower than East Anglia and Surrey on that list. National rankings like the one linked are kinda just meaningless, like UCL and Imperial being lower than Bath? No chance
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by cheinsow
However it does extremely well when it comes to individual courses, has some of the best-ranking courses in areas such as Law, Medicine, social sciences and medical sciences, and has some of the best graduate prospects and teaching quality, and has something like the 7th highest entry tariff requirements, so it can't be said to be 'mid'. The national rankings for some reason put King's way lower then it realistically should be, I mean, it's shockingly lower than East Anglia and Surrey on that list. National rankings like the one linked are kinda just meaningless, like UCL and Imperial being lower than Bath? No chance

the rankings i sent is literally what everyone from the UK uses idk what u on about buddy. U also asked why King's isn't liked and im just answering pal don't get pressed cuz you chose a uni that a lot of people dont like
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by HARR1
the rankings i sent is literally what everyone from the UK uses idk what u on about buddy. U also asked why King's isn't liked and im just answering pal don't get pressed cuz you chose a uni that a lot of people dont like

Tf, who's pressed? I'm just explaining that much of the reasoning really doesn't make sense. I'm beyond happy w my uni lmao. Rankings are all trash, and that guide is just used by 17 year olds who have no knowledge of universities. I mean for graduate prospects for Law for example Bedfordshire ranks higher than Cambridge in that guide. On that guide Loughborough manages to be ahead of UCL, Durham, Warwick, York, Manchester, KCL... it goes on :argh:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by cheinsow
Tf, who's pressed? I'm just explaining that much of the reasoning really doesn't make sense. I'm beyond happy w my uni lmao. Rankings are all trash, and that guide is just used by 17 year olds who have no knowledge of universities. I mean for graduate prospects for Law for example Bedfordshire ranks higher than Cambridge in that guide. On that guide Loughborough manages to be ahead of UCL, Durham, Warwick, York, Manchester, KCL... it goes on :argh:

can I ask tho are you local or international
Original post by HARR1
can I ask tho are you local or international

local, why?
Reply 7
did u go to college
Original post by HARR1
did u go to college

what's this question for?
Reply 9
im asking like u background or u go sixth form
Original post by HARR1
im asking like u background or u go sixth form

sixth form, you?
I have no idea (beyond the fact that they messed up badly last year), maybe it's to with it being a London university. Some seem to not be a fan of London universities or London in general.

I don't understand the backlash that some people have towards London universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending