The Student Room Group

What is it like living in Deptford (McMillan Student Village)?

Hi!
I am a French/British student moving to London to begin my PhD in Physics at King's College London. I have received an offer for a studio at McMillan Student Village in Deptford.
I would like to know if anyone who has lived or is living in Deptford could give me an opinion on if it is a safe place to stay? Especially when you are female like me.
My British family has told me that it is known to be a rough neighbourhood which worries me a bit... My other option would be to try to find a flatshare with other students which would be a first for me.
Thanks!
Is Deptford a rough area? Maybe; London’s a rough area. Or at least every part of London has rough areas in it or nearby. Certainly anywhere where students are able to afford a flat share will be.
McMillan is home to a lot of students from Greenwich University and Trinity Laban - it’ll feel like any other student village and yes, it will be safe. The question is how close is it to your campus at King’s College? Are you at Denmark Hill?
(Edit: Oh, Physics is at the Embankment campus, I think. It's about thirty five minutes from the McMillan Student Village on public transport. There may be other opportunities around London to consider with similar travel times.)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by doublestrokeroll
Is Deptford a rough area? Maybe; London’s a rough area. Or at least every part of London has rough areas in it or nearby. Certainly anywhere where students are able to afford a flat share will be.
McMillan is home to a lot of students from Greenwich University and Trinity Laban - it’ll feel like any other student village and yes, it will be safe. The question is how close is it to your campus at King’s College? Are you at Denmark Hill?
(Edit: Oh, Physics is at the Embankment campus, I think. It's about thirty five minutes from the McMillan Student Village on public transport. There may be other opportunities around London to consider with similar travel times.)

Hi!
I will be at Strand campus! Which is also about 35 minutes away
It's really the cheapest that I've found, it's a studio and it's cheaper than some ensuite rooms. Which is one of the reasons which got me worried about the property.
A girl who stayed there last year told me that Deptford hight street was really not safe at night.
The other opportunities I could have would be to try and find a flatshare. I'm looking in zones like Lambeth but don't know the area either.
Original post by GoroMajemma
Hi!
I will be at Strand campus! Which is also about 35 minutes away
It's really the cheapest that I've found, it's a studio and it's cheaper than some ensuite rooms. Which is one of the reasons which got me worried about the property.
A girl who stayed there last year told me that Deptford hight street was really not safe at night.
The other opportunities I could have would be to try and find a flatshare. I'm looking in zones like Lambeth but don't know the area either.

Yeah, so the Strand Campus is a short walk from Charing Cross (next door to Somerset House, I believe). That opens up a fair bit of South East London within 30 mins travel by train, but trains are expensive. I'm not a girl and I've lived my whole life in South East London, so maybe I'm not as aware of safety as I should be. But my take is that you always need to be aware of your surroundings in London, and as long as you are, you'll be safe. Having said that, you'll always feel more safe travelling with friends and fellow students, so I think my instinct would be to try to go where other King's College students go.

I don't think that McMillan's safety is reflected in its price - just the location. It's perfect for the University of Greenwich, Trinity Laban etc, but not the most obvious choice for Kings College or other more central universities. Plenty of conservatoire students with expensive classical instruments walking between there and the Royal Naval College in Greenwich without getting mugged. Lambeth is apparently one of the top 10 most dangerous boroughs in London... but I lived there for a couple of years with no problems. It's a big place, some parts distinctly gentrified, others not so. Statistics can be deceiving.

I'm just rambling now, hopefully someone will give you another perspective. Good luck.
Reply 4
Hi all,

I've got a studio plus booked at McMillan student village for the 22/23 academic year, however I'm looking for someone to take my place as I'm no longer able to stay here.

It's a 10 minute walk from the University of Greenwich, and it's got a kitchen area and toilet all in the room.

If you're interested, please message me for more info or dm me on instagram @alicia.barcl

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending