The Student Room Group

How do i actually revise and how do i make myself do it?

How do I actually revise? whenever i search online i get the same old things but the usual methods never seem to help me. I also find no motivation to study and i revise for like 10 mins, get bored and lazy and stop. My laziness and procrastination is an actual problem and i always manage to be revising last minute. or at least my attempt to revise (i usually just read through the content). Any help is appreciated. ty.
Reply 1
Original post by SSahkurah
How do I actually revise? whenever i search online i get the same old things but the usual methods never seem to help me. I also find no motivation to study and i revise for like 10 mins, get bored and lazy and stop. My laziness and procrastination is an actual problem and i always manage to be revising last minute. or at least my attempt to revise (i usually just read through the content). Any help is appreciated. ty.

You need to find a way of studying which u enjoy then u will less likely procrastinate but yh it’s hard

Active recall is the best way to revise, and it’ll hopefully be less boring too. You need to be actively doing something with the content so it stays in your head. For example:
flash cards - question/prompt on one side, answer on the other. Look at the question and attempt to answer, then check with the back of the card. Sort into piles of ‘know’ and ‘don’t know’ and repeat with the ones you don’t know. You can make physical flash cards or online ones on Quizlet or there might be other websites too.
Blurting - write down everything you can remember about a specific topic without looking at any notes or anything, then fill in anything you didn’t know in a different coloured pen using your notes. Then you know what you don’t know and can focus more time on that.
Practice questions / past papers - so you’re using the content and know what to expect in the exam. Best to do this when you’re fairly confident with the content though.

Also you need to keep going back to stuff, like revise for a little bit one day and then go back to it the next day, then in 3 days, then in a week, etc to get it into your long term memory.

Do you know why you're stopping after 10 minutes - are you finding the revision too difficult, have you broken it down enough so you know exactly what you're covering when you sit down to study, are you being distracted by something else nearby? If you can try and work out what the barriers are, it might help you then tackle those so you can remain focused for a bit longer.

It may also be that you're just better at revising in short bursts. It might be worth trying the Pomodoro technique which is setting a timer for 25 minutes and studying one topic for that time, then taking a 5 minute break and repeating. If 25 minutes is a bit too long, you could start off at 15 minutes and gradually build up until you find a time you're comfortable with. The 25 minutes isn't a set rule so experiment with it and see what works best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending