The Student Room Group

Can someone explain what is happening to me ?

When I was in GCSE’S I felt immensely pressured to do well so I worked so hard and achieved good grades.
Now for A-levels, it’s 2 months before my exams but I haven’t done any preparation whatsoever, my mocks are next week but I haven’t prepared at all.
Can someone explain to me why I don’t feel stressed enough?
Now all I’m think about is what’s the point of school, and I feel guilty when I don’t revise, but now I’m seeing revision as a way to force information down my throat rather than actually learning.

I haven’t come to school all week and now I’m in school I feel uncomfortable, like I want to run away, yet I can’t bring myself to actually revise (e.g say things out loud to myself)

Whenever I do, the back of my head hurts so much, but that used to happen 2 years ago. I’m wondering why do I react and think so differently now to the point where ‘school’ has no meaning to me.

Although I might sound crazy, this is coming from someone who mother instilled into them education = life, so I don’t know why I’m feeling this way now and that feeling makes me feel utterly guilty, if that makes sense.

Stress used by be the fuel that pumped my engine, so when I didn’t feel stressed about being stressed about my worked I became worried so I instilled positive reinforcements (e.g giving myself a choco bar after revising, but then I just think what is actually stopping me from going to get the choco bar and relax, and so I do that, but then before I slept I felt extremely guilty and said there’s always tomorrow. The problem is ,this has been my lifestyle since last October half-term. I never really ever did productive revision from that half-term onwards. I’ve been dedicated to spending time working on things which have no real value, e.g video games. Also, If I have nothing to listen to, nothing to look at, nothing to do, or if i feel like I’m being watched in public, I get so agitated and nervous and my thoughts either rush over my head or I don’t think of anything and feel blank.

Can someone qualified or just has an idea of what’s happening explain what is actually happening?

I posted something similar a while back before it got to this stage and I received a response to ‘toughen up’ (politely) - but how do you ‘toughen up’ what is your mindset when you are ‘tough’ I don’t understand.
Original post by Anonymous #1
When I was in GCSE’S I felt immensely pressured to do well so I worked so hard and achieved good grades.
Now for A-levels, it’s 2 months before my exams but I haven’t done any preparation whatsoever, my mocks are next week but I haven’t prepared at all.
Can someone explain to me why I don’t feel stressed enough?
Now all I’m think about is what’s the point of school, and I feel guilty when I don’t revise, but now I’m seeing revision as a way to force information down my throat rather than actually learning.
I haven’t come to school all week and now I’m in school I feel uncomfortable, like I want to run away, yet I can’t bring myself to actually revise (e.g say things out loud to myself)
Whenever I do, the back of my head hurts so much, but that used to happen 2 years ago. I’m wondering why do I react and think so differently now to the point where ‘school’ has no meaning to me.
Although I might sound crazy, this is coming from someone who mother instilled into them education = life, so I don’t know why I’m feeling this way now and that feeling makes me feel utterly guilty, if that makes sense.
Stress used by be the fuel that pumped my engine, so when I didn’t feel stressed about being stressed about my worked I became worried so I instilled positive reinforcements (e.g giving myself a choco bar after revising, but then I just think what is actually stopping me from going to get the choco bar and relax, and so I do that, but then before I slept I felt extremely guilty and said there’s always tomorrow. The problem is ,this has been my lifestyle since last October half-term. I never really ever did productive revision from that half-term onwards. I’ve been dedicated to spending time working on things which have no real value, e.g video games. Also, If I have nothing to listen to, nothing to look at, nothing to do, or if i feel like I’m being watched in public, I get so agitated and nervous and my thoughts either rush over my head or I don’t think of anything and feel blank.
Can someone qualified or just has an idea of what’s happening explain what is actually happening?
I posted something similar a while back before it got to this stage and I received a response to ‘toughen up’ (politely) - but how do you ‘toughen up’ what is your mindset when you are ‘tough’ I don’t understand.
I have the same problem, I don't know if I'm one to give advice as I often fall back into bad habits but maybe I can use my own advice. As an unhealthy perfectionist I am not satisfied with grades below A* (aka. overachiever). The first thing you should do when getting overwhelmed is take a deep breath (even while reading this).

Think, why am I being unproductive? Is it my phone, what can I do to remove distractions [answer is most of the time you can't, you just have to mentally remove them and this takes time]
Most importantly, why revise? Is there a goal you want to achieve (good uni, specific career, someone you want to make proud (this would be a temporary goal)); make sure it's YOU who wants achieve something and it's not out of habit instilled through childhood (although this helps but not for the long run)

Try different study methods, maybe the old ones don't work anymore; I used to simply read and the information would stick. Now that is IMPOSSIBLE in A-Level cause there is too much information. As tips; I have recently done flashcards (but these take time so unless they really do help you after you try using them then don't waste time) and essay plans, just so I know how to structure my answer. However, the best method for temporary procrastinators or burnouts (imo) is either watching explanatory videos online (this will depend on your subject) OR blurting. I swear by blurting, what is is, is you read (or watch) a text then you distract yourself (preferably with another subject) for like 5-15 mins (you can increase the time to a day after this) then you take out a paper and write down EVERYTHING you remember from 5-10 mins ago (even if its only a little); don't do this forever tho if youre struggling after 5 mins (the first time) allow yourself to conclude you can't remember. Now fill in the blanks (the more you remember the less you write= motivation) then uve re-read your notes in intervals and did some active-recall.

Lastly, allow yourself a reward after studying (once you've built up at least SOME discipline) its okay to play games, go on your phone but set out a time to do this. Put your phone in a different room while you study (and any other distractions if possible). I don't like the pomodoro technique cause I catch myself procrastinating. What's better is to set out a to-do list with tasks you NEED to do (don't overwhelm yourself- prioritise although it can be hard I understand) and set out a time each one may take. You can rest between each task as this should be a DAY task-list. Although if you are burnt out I don't recommend tasks with large breaks - I promise it WILL distract you (from experience). I don't use student timetables - they suck; you feel like youre not doing enough work 24/7. Instead try a retrospective timetable - I can't explain this one you should look it up.

From one high-achieving student to another :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending