The Student Room Group

a level revision advice

I don't know how to revise for my a level subjects. For both GCSE's and AS levels last year i got away with week-before revision or even just the night before and ended up with AAB in AS. But i know thats not my full potential and have actually been putting work in this year. But somehow i feel like it's all in vain. I do essay subjects (history, english lit, RS) and I am naturally good at writing essays, but I'm completely lost as to how I will manage to go over ALL OF THE CONTENT, and also cement the information my brain. So far, i've been reviewing content from AS and making essay plans with notes as i don't have any from last year. But i feel guilty- like I'm wasting my time and not actually revising. I know you are supposed to be doing active recall for best results but i don't know how i could possibly start that if i don't have any notes to test myself from. Or should i scrap notes and make essay plans straight away? And then on top of this I have to manage coursework for english and history. Sorry for the long rant, but please could someone whose been in my position give me advice on how they structured their time as there's only four months left- and how they revised to get A's and A stars. Thanks :smile:
Hi @Henriettawinter

Honestly, A Levels are tough so you should be very proud of what you have achieved so far!

You are right that is very important to be revising effectively, but what works for one person may not work for another. So you have to learn what works well for you. For me, I quickly learned that trying to do more than 2-3 hours of revision was a waste of time. I could only do short bursts, so I had to plan my revision sessions. I did spend a lot of time procrastinating too, watching study YouTubers haha. But some of their tips were useful and it did help with motivating me to want to do well in A Levels. My A Levels were all science-based so very different to yours I imagine.

Another method that helped me was having someone to revise with, but make sure it is someone you will get work done with! Especially when it comes to revising content it can help to have someone to quiz you and vice-versa.

But again, be proud of what you are doing now, and have a lovely break as the year comes to an end!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Henriettawinter

Honestly, A Levels are tough so you should be very proud of what you have achieved so far!

You are right that is very important to be revising effectively, but what works for one person may not work for another. So you have to learn what works well for you. For me, I quickly learned that trying to do more than 2-3 hours of revision was a waste of time. I could only do short bursts, so I had to plan my revision sessions. I did spend a lot of time procrastinating too, watching study YouTubers haha. But some of their tips were useful and it did help with motivating me to want to do well in A Levels. My A Levels were all science-based so very different to yours I imagine.

Another method that helped me was having someone to revise with, but make sure it is someone you will get work done with! Especially when it comes to revising content it can help to have someone to quiz you and vice-versa.

But again, be proud of what you are doing now, and have a lovely break as the year comes to an end!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest