The Student Room Group

Does it matter if I don't have traditional GCSES for university

I have my English and math GCSE, but for the rest I had to do a lvl 2 btec and got DM. Will this matter for university? It doesn't say on most uni websites that I even need 5+ GCSEs they only look at English and math, but is this true? Especially for applying to computer science which is quite competitive
I think universities only really care about your a levels
It’s just about ucas points. If you look at their website they allot points to all the different qualifications and grades. As long as you have the points needed they don’t care what they are. Also as a mature student it’s often about the head of subjects decision rather then points. One just needs to prove your at the level to be able to do the qualifications.
Reply 3
Original post by revo349
I have my English and math GCSE, but for the rest I had to do a lvl 2 btec and got DM. Will this matter for university? It doesn't say on most uni websites that I even need 5+ GCSEs they only look at English and math, but is this true? Especially for applying to computer science which is quite competitive

if u got the grades needed in maths and english then ur fine. however if u want to get into a really good uni then they might look at them. since ur doing comp sci at uni, if u got a good grade in maths and u get good grades at a level then you'll get in!
Original post by elliemab22
if u got the grades needed in maths and english then ur fine. however if u want to get into a really good uni then they might look at them. since ur doing comp sci at uni, if u got a good grade in maths and u get good grades at a level then you'll get in!

Thanks :smile:) I got an 8 in my math and 6 in my English so hoping I will be ok
Original post by revo349

I have never heard that unis ask for gcses for CS as degree....i think its for the most competitive subjects or unis like : med/dentistry....u can search the internet and im pretty sure ull be able to find out how mnay ask for it but i think in ur case, like @Anxious_addy said ur a-levels will be the main decider

Quick Reply

Latest