The Student Room Group

Have I messed up?

So recently I’ve been accepted into Glasgow Caledonian University for a masters degree in Electrical and Electronic engineering however, I’ve been hearing a lot of people say that Strathclyde is way better for engineering than GCU. Have I shot myself in the foot by picking GCU and not Strathclyde?
Reply 1
Original post by Pk1675
So recently I’ve been accepted into Glasgow Caledonian University for a masters degree in Electrical and Electronic engineering however, I’ve been hearing a lot of people say that Strathclyde is way better for engineering than GCU. Have I shot myself in the foot by picking GCU and not Strathclyde?

How is it better? There is a lot of snobbishness about what constitutes a "good" institution. Prestige and notoriety usually form the central strand, but like sovereignty in the Brexit debate count for nothing when it comes to the practicalities of study. My nephew and niece recently attended Birmingham and Keele universities respectively and both feel that Keele is way better offering many more additional study options, options to diversify in study, better subject and pastoral support and a generally more supportive culture. But hey ho - Birmingham is best because it is a red brick university right?

So go to Caledonian. Hold your head up high and take everything they offer. The pastoral and teaching support in newer universities is usually way better than traditional universities because they recognise that is what teaching is actually about rather than the stuffy traditional view that one literally "reads" a subject without any support from the institution.

Good luck!
Original post by Pk1675

Hi @Pk1675,

Congratulations on your offer to study your masters and for accepting it ! Masters programmes for engineering can often be really competitive and getting an offer is amazing and a credit to yourself and your hard work.
Each uni has different strengths and can be known for doing different things. Often differences between unis comes down to having different course contents or different links to external partners. Whilst Strathclyde does have a really good Engineering faculty that doesn't mean to say that GCU was the wrong or bad choice. All being well you'll achieve a masters degree at GCU just as you would at any other uni and you'll be in with the same chance of job opportunities as other graduates and masters students.
My advice is to trust in yourself and your decision and enjoy your masters, taking in all the opportunities that come your way. Don't let worry or feelings of regret take away from your amazing opportunity to gain a masters.
Also, for what it's worth GCU and Strathclyde are both in Glasgow and so in choosing one uni over the other still means you get to enjoy all the city has to offer alongside your studies and be in one of the best cities to be a student.
Good luck with your masters and hope you enjoy it !
Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Reply 3
Strathclyde is very, very strong for engineering (particularly marine engineering) but I'm not sure why you'd be worried about this - when you applied to Glasgow Cal you must have liked the course? I don't think you're harming your prospects in any real sense.
Original post by Pk1675

Do you have an offer from Strathclyde? If so, that is the stronger, more marketable institution.

Ignore the nonsense about student experience/support. Any properly functioning adult should be able to deal with a marginally worse social life for a few years in return for 40 years of improved career prospects and income.
Original post by Pk1675

It is true that Strathclyde is considered to be stronger for engineering, and if you have offers for both it may be advisable to choose Strathclyde. In terms of career prospects, which is - or should be - a key consideration for an engineering MSc, GGC vs Strathclyde probably won't make much difference initially, and in the long run it won't matter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending