The Student Room Group

Medicine apprenticeships

look very appealing , with no uni loan and getting payed whilst working , however heard negative things about this from medical students , saying that employers would discriminate against you as you haven't done medicine through the traditional path and no avenues to work outside the United Kingdom . With me hopefully getting traditional medicine offers this year is it worth it , it seems to be too big of a risk for my future haha .
Reply 1
Original post by examboard
look very appealing , with no uni loan and getting payed whilst working , however heard negative things about this from medical students , saying that employers would discriminate against you as you haven't done medicine through the traditional path and no avenues to work outside the United Kingdom . With me hopefully getting traditional medicine offers this year is it worth it , it seems to be too big of a risk for my future haha .

I agree. Very unlikely to be recognised internationally. Feels like a smart move to keep graduates in the NHS.

Personally, I want to practice Medicine abroad but it could be a good option for those who want to work in the NHS. Seems really competitive though from what I've heard - 20 or so places for applicants likely in the hundreds.
Original post by examboard

Very little is known about these apprenticeships. The government published a few days ago some info that applications for a small trial run will open in spring and the first people will start in september 2024. But other than that, there's no information available and so the whole thing is very uncertain, so better to just go to university.

Been a while since I voiced my fears on this but I believe this will system will create a two-tier system of doctors. Not on paper, they're really trying to make it as equal as possible but in practice, I think apprenticeship doctors may potentially be seen as second-class doctor (besides being resented by university-trained doctors) for not having done it the traditional, university way. Only time will tell what impact it'll actually have to do Medicine via the apprenticeship route. It's very uncertain still, and that'll be the case for many years to come!
Reply 4
Original post by Scotland Yard
Very little is known about these apprenticeships. The government published a few days ago some info that applications for a small trial run will open in spring and the first people will start in september 2024. But other than that, there's no information available and so the whole thing is very uncertain, so better to just go to university.

Been a while since I voiced my fears on this but I believe this will system will create a two-tier system of doctors. Not on paper, they're really trying to make it as equal as possible but in practice, I think apprenticeship doctors may potentially be seen as second-class doctor (besides being resented by university-trained doctors) for not having done it the traditional, university way. Only time will tell what impact it'll actually have to do Medicine via the apprenticeship route. It's very uncertain still, and that'll be the case for many years to come!

This could potentially happen however the apprentices have to attend all the exact same lectures and exams as the medical students in Anglia Ruskin University. This means they are still a traditional uni student but they have less free time as they are working in hospitals in roles such as porters, coding clerk etc.
Reply 5
Original post by zahzah05
This could potentially happen however the apprentices have to attend all the exact same lectures and exams as the medical students in Anglia Ruskin University. This means they are still a traditional uni student but they have less free time as they are working in hospitals in roles such as porters, coding clerk etc.
Hi,
Do you know where I can apply for this?
Thanks
Original post by Pchar
Hi,
Do you know where I can apply for this?
Thanks
Hi there,

If you may be interested in this apprenticeship, please contact [email protected] (East Suffolk and North Essex Foundation Trust).

Many thanks,
Jemma
Reply 7
Original post by ARUOfficial
Hi there,

If you may be interested in this apprenticeship, please contact [email protected] (East Suffolk and North Essex Foundation Trust).

Many thanks,
Jemma
Hi Jemma,

I thought applications were now closed?
Original post by rbar89
Hi Jemma,

I thought applications were now closed?
That's what I thought, I don't think applications are open, unless they're talking about the application in late January
Reply 9
Original post by mahdikhan786
I agree. Very unlikely to be recognised internationally. Feels like a smart move to keep graduates in the NHS.
Personally, I want to practice Medicine abroad but it could be a good option for those who want to work in the NHS. Seems really competitive though from what I've heard - 20 or so places for applicants likely in the hundreds.

In my view it’s a way to get doctors on the cheap.
Their degrees will be worth less and it’s therefore more likely they will be stuck doing middle grade jobs and unable to leave the NHS.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
I tried finishing off the application today but it came up with a 502 error and wont let me open the application site. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Reply 11
Original post by Medpapa
In my view it’s a way to get doctors on the cheap.
Their degrees will be worth less and it’s therefore more likely they will be stuck doing middle grade jobs and unable to leave the NHS.

I'm confused why do you think the degree will be worth less. It's the same degree as other ARU student's, why does it matter if you pay for it with loans or are paid in an apprenticeship?
Original post by zahzah05
I tried finishing off the application today but it came up with a 502 error and wont let me open the application site. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Where are you applying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending