The Student Room Group

University and moving on

I had to retake a year in y11 because i failed all my GCSE subjects after a very hard mentally draining year.

All my friends and everyone who I've ever known who's my age is applying for uni, going to open days and getting ready to leave my town forever. I feel so left behind, I'm going to be stuck in my town for another year whilst everyone I know is moving far away for uni. I don't know how to describe it but I'm almost angry at myself even though there is nothing I could of done. Does any one have any advice on how to kinda get over that feeling of feeling left behind? or anyone going through a similar situation?
Original post by kezowskii
I had to retake a year in y11 because i failed all my GCSE subjects after a very hard mentally draining year.

All my friends and everyone who I've ever known who's my age is applying for uni, going to open days and getting ready to leave my town forever. I feel so left behind, I'm going to be stuck in my town for another year whilst everyone I know is moving far away for uni. I don't know how to describe it but I'm almost angry at myself even though there is nothing I could of done. Does any one have any advice on how to kinda get over that feeling of feeling left behind? or anyone going through a similar situation?

Hi! I’m so sorry to hear you’re feeling down about this. I can imagine it’s really hard to feel like you’re being left behind by others your age. I can understand feeling angry but you tried your best and it sounds cliché, but this is your journey, with your own path. It’s easy to compare yourself to others, but your educational development is just as valid as anyone else’s. Try to get through this year with as much focus as possible - you can do this.

I hope this helps! 🙂

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield
Original post by kezowskii

Hi @kezowskii

It's not quite the same, but I experienced something similar to you.

While all my friends went off to university after our A Levels, I stayed in our hometown to complete an Art and Design foundation year at college. I know it's not quite the same situation, but I did definitely feel like I'd been left behind.

The best thing I learnt from it, however, is that there is no correct time or way to move forwards, like when applying to uni, or figuring out what to do after your GCSEs. Like @University of Huddersfield says, you have your own path with this. You are not your friends, and they're not you, you're all different. So it also doesn't matter if you have a different outcome at the moment.

Try your best not to think negatively about your situation. Maybe you could see retaking year 11 as an opportunity to get back the time you might've lost the previous year, as you mentioned you had a tough time. And if you end up moving on to applying to university or a college somewhere, think of it as your time to go when you're truly ready.

I hope you're doing okay and feel a bit more relaxed about your situation!
Emily🙂
Hey there,

I understand that it can be tough to see your friends and peers moving on to university while you feel like you're being left behind. Remember that everyone's path is different, and there's no right or wrong timeline for success. It's important to focus on your own journey and not compare yourself to others.

Firstly, be kind to yourself and acknowledge that retaking a year doesn't define your future. It takes courage and strength to face challenges and make the decision to improve. Use this extra time to work on yourself, explore your interests, and gain valuable experiences that will benefit you in the long run.

Consider taking advantage of the additional year to further develop your skills and knowledge. You could take up new hobbies, volunteer, or even pursue online courses to expand your horizons. Remember, personal growth and learning can happen outside of traditional educational settings too.

It's also helpful to surround yourself with a supportive network. Talk to friends, family, or even a mentor who can provide guidance and encouragement. They can offer a fresh perspective and remind you of your own worth and potential. Additionally, consider reaching out to others who may be going through a similar situation. Having a support system of people who understand what you're going through can be invaluable.

Lastly, keep in mind that life is full of opportunities, and this setback is just a part of your unique journey. Take this time to reflect on your goals and aspirations. Set new targets for yourself and focus on what you can do to achieve them.

Remember, success is not solely defined by attending university. There are many paths to a fulfilling and successful future.
Stay positive, stay determined, and believe in yourself. You have the ability to create your own path and achieve great things. Keep pushing forward, and know that you're not alone in this journey.

Wishing you all the best,
Ilya :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending